Chapter Four

Point of View: Roman, First Person
Timeline: Present Day

"Virgil! Please let me in!" I yelled through Virgil's closed door.

Honestly, I felt like I was always on the wrong side of this stupid door.

I pressed my forehead against the door when he didn't open it. "I'm sorry," I added. "Please, you know that I wouldn't ask you unless I thought that you knew something, something important that could help us save... others in the future," My voice cracked and I loudly cleared my throat. "I know you know something that can help us. Please, I've given you all the time that my conscience can live with. I know you wanted more time, but we can't afford it-"

The door swung door and I stumbled inside, wings flying outward to catch myself before I landed flat on my face.

"You opened the door," I said surprised when I had recovered.

Virgil shifted anxiously, closing the door behind me. "Yeah?" Virgil muttered, rubbing the back of his neck.

"You let me into your room," I said.

"And?"

"That's new," I said. "I'll admit I thought I was going to be in a one-sided conversation with the door," I confessed.

Virgil rolled his eyes, yanking his hood higher on his head. "Don't make me regret it," he snapped, yanking harder in on the hood as his anxiety built. He frowned, fingers fiddling with anything and everything – his hair, his jacket, his headphones (currently resting against his collarbone). "But... you're right I can't keep this to myself anymore."

Virgil plopped himself unceremoniously on his couch and I slowly joined him, tentative over what Virgil was going to tell me. I situated myself a bit across from him, tucking my foot underneath me – a habit I'd had as a kid, which came back when I was nervous.

And what Virgil was preparing to reveal to me didn't look like it was going to be anything good.

Virgil let out a loud sigh and exhaled heavily, bangs flying up a bit in response. His face looked dark and pained, but also... fearful. But of what?

"I – I can't tell Patton and Logan everything I'm about to tell you. C-Can you please tell them?" Virgil asked, voice low and his eyes avoiding my own.

I nodded, holding back my instinct to not make him say anything at all and just hold him until all our problems faded away. But that's not how life works.

"I... You guys were right when you said I wasn't h-here with you guys, not as kid," Virgil stammered, avoiding my eyes and choosing to fix his eyes on the couch. His arms pressed tightly against himself as if he was trying to give himself a hug – a sign that he was extremely anxious. "I mean, I was here, but... I wasn't in the Mind Palace. Well, I was in the Mind Palace, but I wasn't... here," he stumbled all over himself, wincing at his word choice.

"Take a deep breath, there's no rush," I advised, not sure whether to hold him close or back away and give him space.

Virgil took a deep breath and then final brought his eyes up to mine.

"I was... born... like the rest of you," he started. "But..."

I waited for him to continue.

"I was born in the other Mind Palace."

I froze at that, everything coming to a screeching halt.

ANOTHER MIND PALACE?!

"There's a balance," Virgil continued rapidly, not giving much time to comprehend everything that he just said. "Between this side of the Imagination and... the other."