Chapter Six

Point of View: Virgil, First Person
Timeline: Present Day

After a while of sitting in silence, I figured it was okay to start asking him some questions.  Surrounding the nightmares that have bothering him so much and all.

"Hey, um, Dad?"

I'm not sure how I expected Patton to react, but for Patton to flinch – physically and noticeably FLINCH – that certainly wasn't what I expected at all. In response, I immediately felt myself start sinking inward, not wanting to bother him with my own sad existence.

"Sorry," I said, quietly, avoiding his eyes. For a second... it almost looked like Patton was... was afraid of... me? No, his nightmares weren't about me... hurting him were they? Oh my gosh, of course that's what it was. What else could it be? "Da- Morality," I corrected, a stuttering mess. "Your... your nightmares aren't about... me, are they?"

Patton's eyes widened slightly, surprised. But... the guilty look in his eyes... so I was right.

"Um, kiddo-"

"You don't have to tell me," I said, cutting him off. "In fact, I don't want to know. But please – there's nothing that could happen that would make me hurt you, okay?" I assured.

For some reason, Patton still looked a bit uneasy. But still he slowly nodded.

"Morality?"

"Y-Yeah kiddo?"

"Do you believe me?" I asked quietly.

Patton didn't answer.

At least he was honest.

I slowly got to my feet, adjusting my hoodie. "I would never hurt you, Patton. I promise – and I don't break my promises," I said, turning and leaving, not bothering to see him in respond.

In the hallway, I ran into Logan, who hastily backed away from the hallway, eyes wide. I didn't say anything. He had to be eavesdropping – only that would explain that deer-caught-in-headlights look he was giving me.

I didn't say anything, simply brushing past him without another word, silently furious. I heard small footsteps behind me and I ignored him, turning the music up in my headphones a little louder to drown him out. I just wanted to be alone.

Logan stopped me at the door to my room, grabbing my arm. I sighed, annoyed as I pulled down my headphones, music faintly filling the air. "You have to tell me," he spat out. "Are you..." Logan cut off, squirming uncomfortably – very much unlike him. What was this about? "AreyouandPattondating?" he rushed, cheeks flaring a bright pink and disappearing down his neck.

It took me a moment to process what he was asking me. "Patton and... me? Dating?" I stood there stunned. "Oh my gosh, you're serious."

Logan squirmed again (which I can't deny was quite satisfying) and nodded.

"Patton and I aren't like that at all," I countered. "We're... not close like that. What made you think so?"

Now Logan was absolutely red, embarrassed. "I saw you guys hugging this morning, and um..." he dropped off, avoiding my eyes. "I apologize for jumping to conclusions."

"Patton and I are not dating," I emphasized. "Actually," I admitted. "Roman and I are dating."

Logan's jaw dropped. "Really?"

For the logical one of all of us, he really is quite dense at times. Geez.

I felt my cheeks heat up and I nodded.