Chapter Eleven

Point of View: Roman, First Person (haha how much do you miss Virgil's POV? XP)
Timeline: Present Day, Day 7 of Roman's Quest

I groaned, wincing at my pounding head.  I raised my hand and pressed them harshly against my temples, trying effortlessly to fix the throbbing pain in my head. Ow...

I looked up, searching for Virgil.  Gosh... my head...

"Morning Charmin'," a voice said.  I blinked lazily at Virgil, who merely held a water bottle out to me.

"Morning, Hades," I muttered, still holding my head, taking the water bottle from him gratefully.  "Ah - what happened?"

"You started freakin' out," Virgil said calmly, holding his staff lightly in his hand.  He swung it back and forth easily, seemingly unconcerned at the fact I couldn't remember what happened... yesterday? The day before?

"Freaking... out?" I asked, the words unfamiliar to my tongue.

"You started acting really weird," Virgil explained vaguely, not meeting my eyes.  "Mood swings all over the place.  I gave you some of my sleeping pills to knock you out for a bit - hoping that you'd wake up."

"S... Sleeping pills?" I repeated, remembering vaguely.  "You... you had my sleeping pills," I remembered, frowning.

Virgil shook his head.  "They were my sleeping pills.  I guess Logan's been busy," Virgil said simply, still not meeting my eyes.  His voice was light but his eyes said otherwise, darkened in worry.

"How... how long have I been out?" I asked, wincing slightly.  I wouldn't push, I promised I wouldn't push, but I couldn't help the instant urge to convince Virgil to talk to me.

"A good sixteen hours," Virgil admitted, still swinging his staff - still uncharacteristically calm.  I guess he's already worked out through all his anxiety while I was out or... something?

Yeah, that was about as believable as it sounded.

"Oh," I said stupidly.  I blinked before realizing something.  "Wait, have you slept... at all?" I asked him, getting to my feet - still causing a ripple of pain to shoot through my skull.

"Nope," Virgil admitted, tone unnaturally - and unnervingly - cheerful.  "But I feel great!" he said smiling - like a real, full smile.

I gaped at him.  "Um - m-maybe you should take a little nap," I stuttered, shocked by his... well, everything.

Virgil merely shook his head in response.  "Nah - come on, Princess we can still get a little further before nightfall," Virgil yanked me to my feet.

I froze at the name, breath hitching in fear.  Princess... that,... that was what he called me in the nightmare... 

No, it just had to be a coincidence.

"U-Um are you sure this is a good -"

Virgil waved his hand, brushing away my concern.  "I feel great -  we can probably reach the Mind Palace today if we get moving."

Still I hesitated.  "Virgil, you're not acting like... yourself.  Is... is everything okay?" I asked.  I couldn't help it.  He was worrying me.

"I'm fine," Virgil said, but I noticed his hands grip his staff a little tighter.

"No, no you're not," I pushed, frowning.  He was hiding something.  "What's wrong?"

"I said I'm fine."

"Clearly you're not," I said, crossing my arms over my chest - ignoring my headache, which was steadily growing stronger. by the second.

Virgil let out a harsh exhale.  "I'm fine - the only thing bothering me right is the fact that my boyfriend keeps pushing me even though he knows better than that," Virgil sneered at me.