Chapter Two

Point of View: Virgil, First Person
Timeline: Present Day

I pulled my headphones down, quickly cutting off the music pounding in my ears. I'd been lying here for hours now, just drowning my anxiety in loud bass notes. But this was not something I could ignore forever.

I sat up, rubbing my cheek tiredly - which was red from lying face down on the couch for so long. I'd finished off the rest of the Oatmeal Raisin cookies while I swallowed in self-pity. Time to go eat some real food, I guess.

I slowly got to my feet, stretching my stiff muscles from being in that position for so long, wincing as a went.

"Hiya, kiddo," Patton said, popping up from seemingly nowhere. "Are ya hungry?"

"Um, nah. I... I just needed to stretch for a second," I said, my appetite suddenly gone at the sight of him. What would Patton think of me when he found out more about... my past?

Patton's smile dropped a little at that. "Kiddo, I dunno what's bothering ya," I immediately tensed at those words. "But if ya wanna talk bout it, don't feel... anxious bout comin' to me, m'kay?"

I squirmed under his gaze. "Um – yeah, okay," I agreed, rubbing the back of my neck impatiently.

"Then come here and help me clean up a bit while I make dinner, kiddo," Patton said firmly, leaving no room for me to try and sneak into my room.

I followed Patton to the kitchen, dragging my heels all the way. If I followed, he could ask me questions, if I followed he could trap me, if I followed he could –

"Virgil?"

I turned to find Logan in the kitchen already. "Salutations," he greeted, grabbing a water bottle from the fridge.

I just nodded in response, yanking up my hood – digging my hands harder my jacket pockets, every part of me tense. Patton either didn't notice my uneasiness or he just ignored it (I suspected the second) and simply handed me a sponge – by yanking one hand out of my pocket setting the wet thing in my hand. "Countertop," he merely said.

I turned my head to Logan, confused. We could just... well, wish something to be clean. Why was he making me do it the old-fashioned way? Logan didn't say anything in response, simply smirked from his chair and pulled out a book.

I sighed, rolling up my sleeve so that it wouldn't get all wet. Carefully, I started cleaning the counter, going back and following over it with a paper towel to gather all the remaining water.

Once I was done, Patton nodded at me in approval.

And then he shoved a broom in my face.

Roman, who had walked into the room while I was manually cleaning the counter, actually started choking on the blueberry muffin he was eating at my expression – in a sad, desperate attempt to not completely burst out laughing.

Serves him right for eating while Patton was making dinner. Impatient much?

I groaned, frowning at the broom. "Why?" I whined.

"You need to get out of your own head.  This will help," he explained simply, not swayed in the slightest by my pout. "Now sweep."

I blinked at that, realizing it's truth. While I was cleaning, I had steadily been relaxing and becoming less tense. I wasn't even worried about Patton jumping me with questions anymore. Huh.

I took the broom from Patton and started cleaning, slowly and taking slow, deep breaths, calming myself. By the time the floor was swept, I was calm, or rather as calm as Anxiety can be.