Call for Aid

Chapter 12

"My king," I start once we caught up with him.

"I want every man and strong lad able to bear arms," Théoden told Gamling, ignoring me. "They are to be ready for battle by nightfall."

"Children are not soldiers," I said outraged. "They've barely lived and you are going to send them to get slaughtered!"

Aragorn grabbed my arms and stopped me.

"I cannot watch children get slaughtered like livestock." I shook my head.

"Then you must defend them," Aragorn gently cupped my face. "We must defend Helm's Deep. There are not many strong boys, but you must defend them when night falls. If the battle turns against us, get those boys into the caves with the women and children."

I looked into his eyes, full of kindness and something else, and nodded. He rested his forehead on mine before going to catch up. I let out a breath that I didn't realize I was holding and ran to catch them as Aragorn did. We made our way to the main gate.

"We will cover the causeway and the gate from above," Théoden explained as we stood outside the gate. "No army has ever breached the deeping wall or set foot inside the Hornburg."

"This is no rabble of mindless orcs." Gimli tried to reason. "These are Uruk-hai. Their armor is think and their shields broad."

"I have fought many wars, Master Dwarf." Théoden had a smug look on his face. "I know how to defend my own keep."

"So does that slimeball Gríma," I retort. Again, Théoden ignores me. He just walked away.

"They will break up this fortress like water on rock." Théoden said as we walked back inside. "Saruman's hordes will pillage and burn, we've seen it before. Crops can be resown. Homes rebuilt. Within these walls, we will outlast them."

"They do not come to destroy Rohan's crops or villages." Aragorn argued. "They come to destroy its people. Down to the last child!"

Théoden stepped forward and harshly whispered, "what would you have me do? Look at my men." I looked at the weary soldiers and craftsmen working on the defenses. "Their courage hangs by a thread. If this is to be our end, then I would have them make such an end as to be worthy of remembrance!"

"You don't have to die in a battle to be worthy of remembrance," I mumbled then turned to the king. "Send out riders, my lord. Zara and I can go to the nearest ally and ask for help." Théoden shook his head. "You must call for aid."

"And who will come? Elves? Dwarves? If my knowledge hasn't failed me, I believe Trilyra was close to a dwarf kingdom when they were destroyed. Where were they when your parents were being slaughtered with your people? If I also remember correctly, you were not there. You were off in an Elven kingdom making a treaty. What makes you think I will let you ride off just before we are to go to battle?"

I stared at him in disbelief, tears welling up. "If your memory was right, then you would know that Trilyra had no warning. If they had a warning, my father would have called for aid."

"We are not so lucky in our friends as you. The old alliances are dead."

"Gondor will answer." Aragorn stepped in and took the attention away from me.

"Gondor?" Théoden growled. "Where was Gondor when the Westfold fell? Where was Gondor when our enemies closed in around us?! Where was Gon-" Théoden huffed. "No, my lord Aragorn, we are alone." With that, he turned and walked away.

I sighed and turned to the ranger. "Aragorn, you need rest."

He shook his head and walked back down to the courtyard. People were already gathering their belongings and heading towards the caves.

"Aragorn!" I called and ran after him.

"Come on people!" A man was motioning and guiding the crowd. "Quickly, now!"

I caught Aragorn's hand. "You need rest and food."

He paused before slipping his hand out of mine and motioning to the wall. "We'll place reserves along the wall. They can support the archers from above the gate."

Legolas sighed next to me. "Aragorn, you must rest."

"I tried telling him that." I told the elf.

Legolas ignored me and continued trying to talk sense into Aragorn. "You're no use to us half-alive."

"Did everyone decide that today was 'ignore what Mryna has to say' day?" I asked Gimli.

Gimli just shrugged.

"At least you answered," I mumbled. I opened my mouth to talk to Aragorn but Éowyn's voice rang out instead.

"Aragorn!" The fair haired girl ran up to us. "I'm to be sent with the women into the caves."

Aragorn gave a small nod. "That is an honorable charge."

Éowyn looked at him in disbelief and shock. "To mind the children, to find food and bedding when the men return. What renown is there in that?"

Aragorn gave her a soft look. "My lady, a time may come for valor without renown. Who then will your people look to in the last defense?"

"My lady Myrna," I looked at the guard, who seemed to look scared just talking to me. "It is time for the women to go into the caves. The king insists that you join them."

I raise an eyebrow. "You will have to bind me and carry me into the caves, and I would like to see anyone try and do that."

The guard trembled as he nodded and walked briskly away.

"I'm to go into the caves but she stays?" Éowyn asked, well, more like whined.

"My lady," I started. "I have been in many battles. Unfortunately, you have not, but your time will come one day. Just not today."

"Let me stand at your side." She ignored me and demanded Aragorn. I felt anger build up at the thought of her by Aragorn's side instead of me. Legolas grabbed my hand and looked at me in reassurance.

"It is not in my power to command it." Aragorn turned to walk away.

"You do not command the others to stay!" Her words made him stop and face her again. "They fight beside you because they would not be parted from you." She looked at me. "Because they love you." She looked at Aragorn then back at me. "I'm sorry."

She walked away.

Aragorn looked at me. He took a step towards me but I turned and headed towards the armory.

Hello! Hello! Hello!

I hope you liked this chapter. I can't remember how many chapters are left in this book, but I know we are nearing the end.

Again, I am going to wait until I finish Return of the King before I rewrite these stories. I feel like it has a lot of plot holes and the characters are not fully developed, but I also want to finish the story with what I already have.

Much love,

~M

Update Schedule:

Tuesdays & Thursdays: 5SOS Preference

Wednesdays: Tolkien Universe