It's Only the Beginning

Chapter 16

Gamling sent men to release the women and children. I watched as wives hugged their husband and as mothers hugged their sons. I witnessed wives and mothers being told how bravely their husbands and sons fought and how those wives and mothers broke down in tears because of their fallen loved ones. As I turned to leave, I saw Éowyn and Aragorn. She was touching his face, smiling happily. I looked away as they embraced. Ignoring the pain in my heart, I continued on my way outside and saw Háleth with his mother. I walked up to them.

"Your father would be proud, Háleth, son of Háma," I put my hand on his shoulder. "Never forget that."

He nodded and I continued to beyond the gate. I passed by members of the Rohirrim as they cleared away the dead. I offered to help, but they politely declined. As I took in my surroundings, I noticed Gimli sitting not too far and Legolas approaching him. I went to them. As I got closer, I saw that Gimli was sitting on an Uruk's body, smoking.

"Final count," Legolas stroked his bow. "Fourty-two."

I smirked and clapped. Gimli nodded. "Fourty-two? That's not bad for a pointy-eared Elvish princeling." Gimli looked smug. "I myself am sitting pretty on fourty-three."

Legolas frowned and before I could say anything, the elf drew his bow and shot the Uruk.

"Fourty-three," he said.

"He was already dead," Gimli narrowed his eyes.

"He was twitching, because he has my axe embedded in his nervous system," Gimli wiggled the axe handle causing the Uruk to twitch. They boys glared at each other.

"Well, you both did very well," I said. "I mean, I only got sixty-eight so I can't say much."

Both the dwarf and elf looked at me in shock and I just shrugged. Legolas opened his mouth to say something but was interrupted by Gandalf.

"We are riding for Isengard," he told us. "The Rohirrim will escort the people back to Edoras. We will leave at dawn." He walked away.

I hurried to catch up with him and together we went back to the keep. "Do you happen to know anything about Nicole? Where she is? Is she safe?"

"I'm afraid I do not know of Nicole's whereabouts." He patted my shoulder. "She is strong. Have hope."

(Nicole's POV)

I was sitting, polishing my sword when Faramir came up to me with two bowls. He handed me one and sat down next to me.

"Thank you," I said before eating. "You look troubled."

"It's been quiet," he stated.

"It's far from over," I told him. "I feel this isn't even the beginning."

He nodded. "You look troubled as well."

"Just thinking."

"Of Myrna?"

"And Legolas and Frodo and Sam," I smiled. "Frodo looked very tired and it didn't feel right letting that creature go with them."

"What would Myrna have done?"

"She would have told Sam to keep it on a short rope and not let it out of his sight. He is the only way they will get to Mordor."

"Do you wonder where she is?" Faramir was always interested in my family history since it was so different from his.

"I imagine she is with Aragorn and Legolas. I only hope that she is keeping Legolas and Gimli from killing each other." I laughed.

He smiled then got a serious look on his face. "Do you think you'll see them again?"

I nodded. "Yes, I do believe I will."

(Myrna's POV)

Aragorn, Gandalf, Théoden, Éomer, Legolas, Gimli, and I sat on our horses not far from Helm's Deep. We faced Mordor.

"Sauron's wrath will be terrible." Gandalf stated. "His retribution swift. The battle for Helm's Deep is over. The battle for Middle-Earth is about to begin. All our hopes now lie with two little hobbits. Somewhere in the wilderness."

Aragorn and I looked at each other then I looked back towards Mordor.

"Good luck, little hobbits," I whispered.

(Sam's POV)

Gollum walked in front of Mister Frodo as I fell behind him.

"I wonder if we'll ever be put into songs or tales," I said.

"What?" Frodo looked back at me, smiling in curiousity.

"I wonder if people will ever say, 'Let's hear about Frodo and the Ring.' And they'll say, 'Yes, that's one of my favorite stories. Frodo was really courageous, wasn't he, dad.' 'Yes, my boy, the most famouest of hobbits. And that's saying a lot.'"

"You left out one of the chief characters. Samwise the Brave. I want to hear more about Sam." Frodo stopped and looked at me. "Frodo wouldn't have got far without Sam."

"Now Mister Frodo, you shouldn't make fun. I was being serious."

"So was I," he smiled then turned to keep walking.

"Samwise the Brave," I smiled to myself and walked after him

"Where did Sméagol go?" Frodo asked. "Sméagol!"

"We're not gonna wait for you!" I called. "Come on!"

Finally, he came out from behind a tree. "Come on, hobbits. Long ways to go yet. Sméagol will show you the way." He turned and started crawling away.

We followed him deeper and deeper into the woods. Not knowing what laid before us.

Well, this is the last chapter of Two Towers. But, it is only the beginning. Now, we must have the Return of the King. I am so punny.

Much love,

~M

Update Schedule:

Tuesdays & Thursdays: 5SOS Preferences

Wednesdays: Tolkien Universe