There's Good in the World

Chapter 15

(Faramir's POV)

"Nazgûl!" I shouted when I heard the familiar shriek. We all hid behind pillars and walls. Nicole and I went to the same wall, with Frodo and Sam in view. My attention went to trying to locate the beast.

"What are you doing?" I heard Sam say, but didn't look at them.

Another Nazgûl cry filled the air. The men around me fled to different areas.

"Where's Frodo?" Nicole asked.

I looked at where the hobbits were and only saw Sam. I looked around and saw Frodo moving the ring from the air to his hand. The Nazgûl reared up and as its head came down, Sam ran up and jumped on Frodo to get him out of the way. I nocked my bow and started flying arrows at the beast. It finally flew away.

"Faramir," Nicole beckoned me to follow her down the stairs.

"It's like in the great stories, Mister Frodo," I heard Sam when I reached the bottom. I couldn't see him, but I could see Frodo sitting against a wall, breathing heavily. "Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy."

I saw Madril go towards them but I held him back.

"How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened. But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer."

I looked around and noticed that some of the men were listening intently.

"Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something. Even if you were too small to understand why. But," Sam paused. "I think, Mister Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back. Only they didn't. Because they were holding on to something."

"What are we holding onto, Sam?" Frodo asked, sounding tired.

Sam came into view and helped the ring-bearer to his feet. "That there's some good in this world, Mister Frodo. And it's worth fighting for."

I walked over to the hobbits and knelt in front of Frodo. "I think, at last, we understand one another, Frodo Baggins."

Nicole approached us. "What do you want to do, Faramir?" She asked. "Do we take them to your father or let them go?"

Madril came up behind Nicole. "You know the laws of our country. The laws of your father. If you let them go, your life will be forfeit."

I stood and face Madril. "Then it is forfeit. Release them."

Nicole smiled as the hobbits were freed. "It's the right thing to do," she told me after Madril left, grumbling. "Your father cannot have the ring. It will corrupt him."

I nodded. "Follow me," I told the hobbits. I led them through a flooded part of the city to an alcove. "This is the old sewer. Runs right under the river through to the edge of the city. You'll find cover in the woods there."

"Captain Faramir," Sam turned to me. "You have shown your quality, sir. The very highest."

I smiled at the hobbit. "The Shire must truly be a great realm, Master Gamgee, where gardeners are held in high honor."

"What road will you take once you reach the woods?" Nicole asked.

"Gollum says there's a path near Minas Morgul that climbs up into the mountains." Frodo reported.

Nicole and I looked at each other. "Cirith Ungol?" She wondered.

I noticed the creature was trying to creep passed me. I grabbed it by the neck. "Is that its name?"

"No," the creature struggled against my grip. "No!" I squeezed harder. "Yes!"

"Frodo, they say a dark terror dwells in the passes above Minas Morgul." I explained to the hobbits. "You cannot go that way."

"It is the only way." Gollum gasped out. "Master says we must go to Mordor, so we must try."

"I must," Frodo insisted.

I threw down the creature. Nicole walked over to Frodo and embraced him. "When it seems heavy, remember that Sam is there to help. We'll see each other again." She then went to Sam and embraced him as well. "Your words gave the men courage and hope, little gardener. You'll find your own courage when the time is right." Sam nodded.

"Go, Frodo," I told the little ones. "Go with the goodwill of all Men."

"Thank you," Frodo nodded and the two hobbits started off into the sewer.

I grabbed Gollum again. "May death find you quickly if you bring them to harm." I shoved him toward the sewer. He limped off.

"Come, I expect there will be an attack tonight." Nicole turned away and started back to the men.

"Something on your mind?" I asked when she had been quiet longer than normal.

"Myrna," she replied. "I just wonder what she is doing and how she is fairing."

I just had to have this little speech in the book. I love it so much!

Much love,

~M

Update Schedule:

Tuesdays & Thursdays: 5SOS Preference

Wednesdays: Tolkien Universe