↳ 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚎𝚗 ✗

⁂

//S A G E//

I SLIDE MY MACHETE back into its sheath, before following after her, avoiding the hands of the Cranks. She pulls open a door to revel more people and fires. I look around with wide eyes, getting looks from men. My fingers were inching their way to my machete. "Come on, keep up. Jorge wants to meet you."

I jog up to the girl, so I was standing next to her. "Who's Jorge?"

She just smirks. "You'll see." we climb the steps as she continues; "No one's come out of the Scorch in a long time. You've just got him curious." She turns to Thomas, her eyes scanning his body. I tense up, and Thomas' notices, lacing his fingers with me. The girl's eyes travel down to our intertwined hands before looking ahead; "and me, too."

I glance back at Newt, my eyebrows furrowed as I notice some of the men following us, grinning. Newt looks back before glancing back at me. "Anyone else starting to get a bad feeling about this place?"

Thomas turns around. "Let's just hear him out. See what he has to say."

I follow the pretty short hair brunette as she climbs more stairs. Once we get to the top, I notice a tall man, playing around with a radio. "Jorge, they're here."

The man I'm assuming is Jorge, lifts up one finger. "Shh. Quiet." After a second of nothing, he unplugs the wires from the radio. "Damn it!" The girl who lead us here plops down on the leather couch, as the rest of us stand in the middle of the room. Jorge exhales deeply, turning around to face with his hands placed on his hips. "Do you ever get the feeling the whole world's against you?" He moves towards a table, pointing at us. "Three questions." He picks up a bottle and a glass. "Where did you come from? Where are you going? How can I profit?" Silence. "Don't answer all at once."

The man Jorge seems so familiar. Like I seen him before, but I don't know where. Thomas was the one to speak up, his hand pressed against my lower back. "We're headed for the mountains. Looking for the Right Arm."

There was some laughter, and Jorge raises the glass up to his lips. "You're looking for ghosts, you mean." He brings the glass away from his lips, stalking forward. "Question number two, where did you come from?"

I clench my jaw, standing up straighter. "That's our business."

Jorge raises an eyebrows and purses his lips. I felt hands grab my arms, pulling me away from Thomas. "Hey! Get the hell off me!" Thomas fights as they bring him down to his knees, and I could only watch in shock. "Get the hell off me, man!"