↳ 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗 ✗

⁂

//S A G E//

AFTER THOMAS PULLED ME up, and after hugging the boys, and watching River thank Thomas for saving my life, and River handing me my machete back , apparently it fell when I was falling down onto the glass , River led us to a patio. I look over the rails, seeing some more patio's below us. I roll my shoulder's back, feeling satisfied when I hear a pop.

Thomas pants slightly, his hand not letting go of mine. "We can get down here." He lets go of my hand, climbing over the rail. "Come on." I followed after him, my fingers wrapping around to rail of the bar. Little by little my feet finally touched the ground, and I almost wanted to kiss it. The three of us walked down an allyway in silent, garbage and debris around us. I caught up with River, my hands wrapped tightly around the handle of my machete. "What was so important to you that you had to go back for?"

He reaches into his pocket. "I had to get this." He pulls out a necklace and hands it for me. "I had it when mom gave it to us, you probably don't remember. I always had it on me. Even in the maze." I take the locket into my hands, inspecting it. I slowly open it, my eyes slightly widening at the picture. It was a black and white faded picture of a younger me with a younger River. I small smile forms on my lips and he takes the necklace from my hands, putting it around my neck. "I've always kept it on me. It reminded me of you."

He stepped back, and I held the locket tightly in my clutch. Thomas appears next to me, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. "So, would you guys like to explain how the hell you two are siblings?"

River purses his lips, continuing to walk forward, I follow close behind. "Our mother died from the flare when we were six, our uncle Jorge taking us in." I was taken aback, I don't remember anything from when I was young, having my memories taken from me. I'm guessing River got his memories back somehow. "When we were eleven, WICKED found us, told Jorge they would help all of us. Turns out they only wanted me and Sage, we were immune unlike Jorge."

I bite my lower lip, memories flooding back in from what River told me back at the warehouse. "They erased our memories, telling us we weren't related and that I'm related to Teresa."

Thomas furrows his eyebrows, lacing his fingers with mine. "Why?"

"Because apparently we're their 'soldiers', or whatever you wanna call us. They tried to make sure we never crossed paths so we don't get close together, knowing if one of us dies, the other will go on a complete rampage, turning against WICKED."

I run my tongue over my chapped lips. "I'm guessing the plan failed."

"We eventually found each other again during training. After a year of us getting close together, I did some digging and found out we were related. Before I even got to tell Sage, they were starting to erase her memories for the maze."