Chapter 7

Two days pass and I can't help but notice Owen's absence. Taking a moment to think about it, I realize I haven't seen Dominic either. Miles is the only person left that I know and talk to but I don't mind. Yesterday he explained the process in the day care and I got to see the kids' routines. After playing some games with some of the older kids, I switch rooms and go to the room with the younger kids. One of the little boys runs up to me and grabs my hand. "Come look at what I made!"

"Okay," I smile, allowing him to pull me across the room.

We reach the Lego table and I sit on the floor beside him. "It's a treehouse," he says before pointing. "And that's a bed inside it."

"Wow, that's so cool. Good job, Bryant. What are you going to make now?" I ask.

"A plane," he says, grabbing more pieces.

Out of all the children in the preschool, Bryant is probably my favorite. He has the most adorable little voice and is the cutest kid I have ever laid my eyes on. His slightly overgrown hair curls slightly at the ends, mostly brown with hints of blonde. His eyes are grey but sometimes you can see a hint of blue. "Do you like planes?" I ask him.

He nods, putting the pieces together. "Yes, my daddy took me on one before. It was fun."

"Oh yeah? Where'd you go?"

"He took me to see the snow," he grins. "It was so cold."

"Did you build a snowman?"

"Yeah," he turns to me in excitement. "And I threw snow at daddy's face."

I chuckle. The sound of the door opening causes me to turn. Miles enters the room with a few women behind him. "Story time. Everyone go find a book to read."

Bryant runs to the bookshelf to search for a book as I move to one of the rugs. He returns with a book about Frosty the Snowman, sitting on my lap. As I read to him, he listens attentively. "Can I turn the pages?" he asks, turning to look into my eyes.

Smiling, I nod. When I finish reading the book, I glance up at the clock on the wall. I promised Lily I'd help her with some things before work. "Bryant, I have to go now," I say, closing the book and placing it on the floor beside me.

"No," he whines. "Read it again."

"I'll read to you again tomorrow."

Turning around, he wraps his arms around me and hugs me tightly. "Promise?"

"I promise," I say, rubbing his back.

The sound of his voice makes my heart break and I can't help but be a bit emotional over the fact that I have no one. I could disappear tomorrow and the only person that would care is a four year old. He pulls away and smiles. "When daddy gets here I'll ask him to take me and you to see the snow."

"Okay," I smile. "I'll see you tomorrow."

Standing up, he grabs the book and takes it back to the shelf. I stand up and leave the room, bumping into Miles in the hallway. "Hey," he smiles. "Where are you going?"

"I promised Lily that I'd help her with some things before work so I have to go get ready," I explain. "I'll be back tomorrow."

"Okay."

I take a few steps away beforr turning back to him. "Hey, have you seen Dominic around?"

He shakes his head. "No. I think he's with Mr. Carter. He's his right hand man."

I nod. "Thanks."

After changing into the standard uniform, I make my way to the strip club. Lily is behind the bar, looking through some paperwork. She instructs me to begin unpacking some of the crates. "If there isn't enough room on these shelves then take it to the back room," she says. "Thank you so much. Your a life saver."

"It's no problem," I say.

The wall behind the bar is completely mirrored with glass shelves. It isn't until I get to the last crate that I have some extra bottles. Carefully picking up the crate, I carry it to the black room. Annie is in the back corner and she jumps when I place the crate down. "You scared me," she says, placing her hand on her heart.

"Sorry. What are you doing back here?" I ask curiously.

The only people allowed back here are the waitresses and Lily. She reaches beneath one of the shelves and pulls out a small bag. Opening it, she takes out a small pill. "A xanny for Annie."

My lips part in surprise, remembering Dominic's comment about the strict drug policy. "But how did you get them?"

"One of the men," she shrugs before popping the pill in her mouth and quickly swallowing it. "I gave him a little bit more than a private dance and he tipped me with these."

"But aren't you afraid of getting caught?"

"I won't get caught," she pauses. "Unless there's a snitch."

I shake my head. "You don't have to worry about that with me."

"Good," she smiles, walking to the door. "Help yourself to one if you want."

She exits the room and I shake my head in disbelief. There's no way I'm going to get caught up in all of that. I didn't come here to get kicked out, I came here to live drugs would only point me in the other direction. My ex get mixed up with drugs a few times but I always tried to steer him in the right direction. I've seen what they can do to a person and I don't believe anyone should put themselves through that.

Placing the bottles on the correct shelves, I quickly finish before heading back out to the bar where Lily is now filling glasses and taking orders. "Good, you're done. I need you to go out and start waiting on tables. These gentlemen are impatient."

Nodding, I grab my notepad and pen before heading out onto the floor.

**************************

Vote ★ Comment ★ Follow