Chapter 2

I Reunite With Old Family Friends and Get An Unwanted Surprise

I woke up to sunlight shining on my face, making my the light look red behind my eyelids. I yawned and sat up groggily, still half asleep. I stretched and look at the clock, which read ten o'clock. I groaned and rubbed my eyes, not wanting to participate in life today.

I heard voices outside, and I knew my mom, my dad, Hephaestus, Hestia, Hermes, and Nemesis were awake. Of course they were awake, gods barely ever sleep. They only need three hours of sleep, since three is a sacred number to the gods. Weird, right?

I stood up, receiving a head rush from the twelve hours I spent in my bed, and got in the shower. It was a quick shower, as I didn't really feel like waiting for my parents to come and force me to actually be active today. I dried my hair roughly with a towel and ran a brush through my tangled, damp hair.

I threw it up in a ponytail, not bothering with it today, and walked outside. My mom was making pancakes over a fire, and everyone else was sitting in lawn chairs.

"Morning Ari," my mom said as I walked past.

"Morning," I said and sat down in the first empty chair I saw that was closest to me. Lazy, I know, but aren't all teenagers?

My dad kissed my head as he walked past, and I smiled. "Are Jake and Brendon still sleeping?" I asked.

"Yeah," Hestia said.

"Those boys sleep like the dead," Nemesis commented.

"They're boys, what do you expect?" Hephaestus said.

"I expect them to be up by ten like Ariana," Nemesis said.

"Well, they aren't as obedient as her," Hermes said.

"You calling me a dog?" I asked, raising an eyebrow at Hermes.

"I didn't say that," Hermes said quickly.

"That's what you were implying," I said.

"No, I wasn't!" Hermes exclaimed.

"Your mouth says one thing, but your eyes say another," I replied.

"Guys, a little help here," Hermes said, looking at his friends for help with a panicked look.

"Sorry, I'm busy," Nemesis, pretending to be interested in her nails.

"Don't look at me," Hestia said. "I'm not having Ari get mad at me."

"You're not dragging me into your mess this time, dude," Hephaestus said.

"You're on your own on this one," my dad said.

Hermes scowled. "Thanks for the back-up, guys."

"That's what you get for calling my daughter a dog," my mom said. "Ariana is the goddess of wisdom's' daughter, after all."

"Some friends I have," Hermes grumbled. "And I did not call her a dog!"

"Get used to them siding with me," I said, patting his shoulder. "Everyone does."

Hermes grumbled some more, and I smiled smugly. It's good to always have the last word. I quite enjoy it. It's very entertaining.

My mom had just finished cooking all the pancakes when Jake and Brendon came out of their trailers.

"I smelled food," Brendon said as a way of explaining when I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Me too," Jake said, though he was looking at me and not at the food like Brendon was.