Shadow

Have you ever felt utterly, and ridiculously hopeless before? Has there ever been a time in your life, where you look back to and think, stupid, stupid, stupid! Well, right now was a perfect example, except, I didn’t need to look back, I thought it as soon as dad’s eyes landed on me.

I freaked out. I had no idea what to do, so I disappeared. His face dropped, and he stepped towards me, I quickly stepped back and he swung his hand around in the air I was just in. tears filled his face, and he started screaming my name.

“Sokar, Sokar!"

Mum came running towards the staircase, looking helplessly at my dad. I wanted to cry, her eyes filled with tears as well, and my dad broke down. Just like that. He sat on the stairs behind him, and started sobbing his eyes out. My disguise was wavering, and I was coming in and out of view, I couldn’t pretend to be a ghost... if they could hold me.

A brilliant plan formed in my head, and within two minutes of watching my parents fall apart, it was all ready to execute.

I called wind to me, and a light breeze that only I could feel engulfed me slowly, I whispered my request to it and I felt it vibrate in anticipation. It’s never been done before, but I knew I could do it perfectly, I had a feeling.

A prick of pain appeared in my arm, but it soon went away as I felt air injecting itself into my body, it’s not as weird as it sounds, I was just becoming one with air, I would be able to do anything air could do, and that is exactly what I need. I need to BE air.

Changing from my invisible state, I stood in front of them at full view. This was really wrong, it felt morally wrong, but seeing them cry like that- even if they weren’t my real parents, it still hurt, I loved them more then I could ever love my own parents. They were real to me.

They looked up at me, and I spied Oliver behind them, looking at me funny. I sent him a small lopsided smile and walked on towards my parents who had now stopped sobbing and were too busy gawking to notice the titanic sailing into our living room.

Waiting there was the most awkward-est situation I had ever been in my whole life. It was just the fact that these were my not so real parents, and I haven’t seen them since I got kidnapped, then when I do; I come back as a ghost. Someone please tell me, this doesn’t scream awkward.

When Oliver comes from the top of the stairs and stands in front of them, their eyes snap shut then open up again, and that was all I needed to disappear. I wanted closure, but I realised that I just couldn’t do it, the needed to think I was dead; it was the only way for them to move. Let’s face it, I wasn’t going back.

I had left Oliver alone in this and he had no idea what to do. I wanted to help him, but I couldn’t watch. The only evidence that I had left for Oliver was the fading thud of my footsteps.

I ran into the room and threw myself on the bed trying to have a dramatic moment, but me being the awkward one; smashed my face into the back rest of the bed. I muffled my screaming while Kai tried to muffle his laughing.

“I would slap your right now, but I’m in too much pain!” I whimpered in his direction. That did it; all hope of keeping in his laughter had vanished. He started laughing so loudly, we didn’t hear mum, dad, and Oliver coming up.

The door swung open and like before, I disappeared in a flash, so that left Kai, who stopped laughing a second too late. His body went limp, and all the light out of his eyes vanished. Mum padded towards Kai, taking her sweet time. I could almost hear Kai rolling his eyes and muttering, ‘yeah, take your time, it’s not as if anyone’s going stiff here’.

Mum, obviously didn’t hear him. She wasn’t meant to. She just picked him up, examined it, and turned to look at Oliver with a stern expression.