chapter 2

Third-person Stoick:

It has been a month since Hiccup left Berk. The village was never the same. At first, the villagers were happy to get rid of the village nuisance finally. Parties were thrown every night for a week straight. Surprisingly, there were no dragon raids that whole week, as if they were celebrating as well. But then, they started again; and slowly, the people started to wake up, metaphorically speaking. Hiccup is gone. The village scapegoat has flown off with the Unholy offspring of Lightning and Death itself. Slowly, the villagers started to wonder, was Hiccup, right? Was there a way to stop the raids by working with the dragons? Many felt guilty not hearing him out, especially Stoick.

It hit him before anyone that his son might never return. He had publicly disowned his son out of anger and embarrassment that very day. Now, he regretted it. He didn't join in on the festivities, and neither did Gobber. They stayed at the chief's house all night, grieving as if Hiccup had died rather than ran away. Stoick didn't publicly show his face until the raids started again. He only ate food when Gobber came and brought some and hadn't trained his body. However, he couldn't leave his village at the mercy of dragons. He recovered his grief fast, but he was still haunted at night when he'd walk to Hiccup's room and see that his only son was not there.

After it dawned on the whole village that the chief's son was no longer there, Stoick saw the surprising impact throughout the village. Since Hiccup was Stoick's one and only son, the leadership of Berk would fall to his nephew, Snotlout. Who, according to everyone, was not someone they'd like to follow. Though he would start the parties, eventually, he started to show the symptoms of missing Hiccup. However, it was probably because he had no one else to bully who could not fight back. Astrid seemed troubled with Hiccup's disappearance. She was never close to him, but she still seemed sad. Fishleggs missed Hiccup. He, like Hiccup, was awkward. They were as close to friends as Hiccup would ever get. The twins seemed not to care. However, every time Hiccup was brought up in a conversation, and they would go silent. They would not speak, fight, or bicker, which was VERY unlike them.

Astrid has also become quite the Viking. She had downed four dragons and kill zippleback and two monstrous nightmares. Stoick wondered if this possibly had something to do with what happened to Hiccup. Despite her reasons, her parents were proud of her, and there have been rumors of an arranged marriage between her and Snotlout.

Then there were strange happenings. Stoick noticed that the night fury's during the recent raids would act differently. They would shoot the dragons instead of the Vikings, they would avoid the catapults, and one even stole a sheep. Stoick would hope it had something to do with Hiccup, but why would he return and save the people who ridiculed him all his life? And secondly, why would he steal a sheep?

Third-person Hiccup:

Periodically, Hiccup would fly to Berk. Always at night and mostly during raids. He attempted to save both Vikings and dragons whenever he could, and without being noticed. His main objectives were to save all Vikings from any dragon and dragons from three main dragon slayers. Stoick, Spitlout, and Astrid. Other Vikings have killed dragons, but they killed the most. Astrid is in this category because she killed at least three dragons since Hiccup had left, and that was about a month ago.

Hiccup was almost seen a few times but had gotten lucky. He was staying on a small island close to Berk to keep an eye on his old home. However, since it was so close, people from Berk would visit it for fishing. He had to disguise the cave they lived in with vines and a thick canopy. Luckily, the mountain they chose already had a huge supply of vines, and all he had to do was cut a little more to cover the entrance completely.

Hiccup also decided to go dragon on Berk and steal a sheep. Since he doesn't live in an area with a valid drinking source, he needed an alternative to finding a close Island with water and food in abundance. So, he 'borrowed' a sheep. He didn't know who it belonged to, but he needed it to survive. He would drink its milk and churn the leftovers to butter or cheese. At night, when he wasn't watching over Berk, he would explore the Island. He saw a possible Island southwest from Berk, but he felt it was a little further than he would like. However, if he couldn't find a better one soon, he'd make it his new home. Once he moves, he'd get to the source of these raids.

One week later...

"Well, bud," Hiccup said to Toothless, "welcome to our new home." Hiccup couldn't find a better island than the one Southwest of Berk. It took them two days to move everything from the small rock they lived in before the bigger island. Hiccup found an extinct volcano and started to make it their home. There were many cool, natural magma chambers that acted like separate rooms. Hiccup made one into his and Toothless's room, one a smithing area, and one a kitchen like a place. He created a canopy to cover the crater, make it look natural, and bring in natural light. Hiccup returned the sheep in the dead of night to Berk; however, he wasn't quite sure where he picked it up from, so he put it in Spitlout's pen, hoping Snotlout would be blamed for it. Serves you right if you do, he thought to himself with a glint of mischief in his eyes.

Hiccup admired his work on their new home. He was planning on training himself up so he would protect himself of Toothless wasn't around. He also started designing a new fin for Toothless. One that could switch from his control to Toothless's. He also wanted to start looking into the dragon raids at Berk. One step at a time, he told himself as he was bombarded with ideas of what to do next. "Right now," Hiccup started, "the dragon raids are the biggest issue, right bud?" Toothless looked at Hiccup as if saying, "well, that's for sure!" Hiccup smiled, so that's where we'll start.

Hiccup and Toothless waited in the shadows of the night. They knew a raid was coming tonight and wanted to follow the dragons. Suddenly, a roar sounded, and the villagers started to prepare for battle. It was so strange every time he'd watch the Vikings from a dragon's eye view. Remembering when he'd try to join in to prove himself by killing a dragon, specifically a night fury. "All right, bud," Hiccup whispered in the dragon's ear, "you know the drill." Toothless snorted as if saying, "yah, yah, let's go." Hiccup took a deep breath, and they dove down.

Third-person Gobber:

Gobber heard the shrieking noise. "NIGHT, FURY!" yelled a female Viking as another, a male, yelled, "GET DOWN!" the dragon shot at a yellow monstrous nightmare which was chasing a kid. Ah, Gobber thought, just Hiccup. Though he couldn't prove it, he knew that the recent night fury sightings were of Hiccup. He never said anything, of course, especially to Stoick, but he knew. He couldn't explain it. He could feel it. He knew Hiccup was just protecting the village as he'd always dreamed of doing. Though, he probably didn't ever dream that he'd be protecting Berk as a renegade and on the dragon, he was after all his life. Now, every time he heard the screech of s night fury, he didn't get down. He didn't even yell the warning. When he would see the night fury acting strange, he would feel s sense of calm. 'I'll help ya lad,' he thought as he fought the dragons. He never killed one since Hiccup left.

Third-person Astrid:

Night Fury, Astrid thought seethingly as she heard the screaming noise. Her blood boiled, and she wanted revenge on all dragons for turning Hiccup against the Vikings, especially that particular one. She was also still angry at Hiccup for taking her spot as first in dragon training. SHE should have been the one to kill the dragon. Since it was him, it ended with disaster. Now, look where he'd gotten himself. Branded a traitor, a renegade. Banished from Berk, and for what? Her rage was like a storm of fire; she could only think of stuff that made her furious as she continued to slice at dragons around her. She heard the screech of the night fury and nearly got blasted by the dragon. Gods damn it that night fury! She fumed. That was the dragon she wanted to kill. That dragon was the reason Hiccup was gone. She heard the shrieking again and threw her ax at the source of the sound. Suddenly, her ax flew right back to her feet as if it was deflected. Damnit!

Third-person Hiccup:

The ax flew straight towards Hiccup's head. Toothless noticed it first and shot up and slammed his tail into the ax. It was deflected back at its source as Hiccup yelled, "thanks, bud." Toothless purred, and they took off again. The sun was coming up as the dragons started to flee Berk. "Come on, bud, let's follow them," Hiccup said. It's time to find out why you guys are attacking Berk.