Chapter Six: Truth About Love

He'd be lying if he said he hadn't been thinking about her. Ever since their dinner the other day he couldn't get her out of his mind. Here he was, listening to Ryan talk about the wedding invitations, trying to listen anyway, and his mind kept drifting back to Bre.

Trey looked at his phone in hopes for a reply from Bre from the message he sent her that morning; still nothing. He read over his message:

How you doing baby girl?

"Trey! Are you listening to me?" Ryan's high pitched voice squealed.

"Yea Ry, I'm sure the invitations will turn out fine." He replied.

He heard Ryan sigh and he looked up at her standing in the doorway as he laid on the bed.

"What's up with you baby? You don't seem as excited about this wedding as I am. You having second thoughts?"

Trey was taken aback by the question and Ryan didn't like that his response wasn't quick enough.

"You don't wanna marry me Tremaine?" She asked in a demanding tone.

"Relax Ry. You know I love you. Of course I'm ready for that step with you. I've just been tired and stressed from work lately."

Ryan walked over to their king bed and sat in front of him. She looked at him with saddened eyes and ran her fingers through her short hair.

"I'm sorry Trey. I've been making everything about me lately." She cuddled up with him and starting watching the movie they had put on a short while ago.

"It's all good baby. Just cuddle up with ya man and watch this movie."

She planted a soft kiss on his lips and turned her attention back to the television.

The movie was coming to an end and Ryan laid in his arms fast asleep from a long day of shopping and wedding preparations. The wedding was two months away and it still seemed like they had so much to do.

Suddenly his phone vibrated.

I'm good. Sorry I'm so late;
We're in different time zones. Lol

His smile widened. She hadn't forgot about him

You left me? ;(

He replied almost immediately. Then his phone vibrated seconds later. The smile never left his face.

Bre 4:15PM :
Visiting my papa for his birthday. I'm a Cali girl for the moment. Lol.

He had no idea she was leaving. But then again, it's not like she was obligated to tell him.

Me 4:17PM:
Damn, I didn't know you were leaving I was hoping to see you today.

He didnt think before he sent it. He just said the first thing that came to mind. After sending it, he felt a little guilt settle into his heart. With Ryan laying in his arms sleeping peacefully, he missed Aubrey's company.

"Who's got you all smiley?" Dianne, Aubrey's mom, asked her daughter as she leaned over the island in the kitchen with her phone in her hand.

"Just this guy who works at the hospital."

Me 4:21PM:
Spend your off day with the wife to be. I'm starting to think you made her up to get rid of me because I see you wayyyy too much for you to be engaged. Not to mention you're texting me now. Lmao

"So there's a guy? What's he like? Are you guys dating?" And started the questions. Bre laughed at her mother's eagerness.

"No ma, you know how I feel about dating ma..."

"Baby, every woman deserves to feel love at least once in her life. You're no different." Her mother tried to reassure her with a look of concern.

Bre gave her mother a calming smile back.

"Ma, not every woman is in Stage II of kidney cancer with the life expectancy of 26. Mamá, I've come to grips with it... debería también."

The fact was her mother couldn't come to grips with it. Aubrey was her first born, her last born. She didn't want to believe that.