Chapter Two: Long Day

"I'm sorry..." He spoke an octave above a whisper. She titled her head to the side, her golden locks falling in front of her face with ease. She pushed her hair back with her right hand and retrieved her purse from the ground.

"No problem." She spoke softly.

"Baby!" He heard Ryan calling, but the strangers eyes had him stuck...

He was captured, until she finally turned her head to walk away.

"Hello?" Ryan called for his attention yet again. Once the brown haired beauty disappeared into the crowded hospital hall, he came back to his senses.

"My bad baby... I bumped into somebody"

.

.

.

Aubrey walked into her nearly empty penthouse suite and placed her keys on the end table. She felt the familiar warm fur rubbing against her leg as she slipped out of her Steve Madden studded slip ins.

"Hey Midnight!" She spoke to her all black teacup yorkee as if she knew he understand. His ears stood at attention as she played with him, the first thing she usually did when she got home from the hospital.

"Another day at the office." She said aloud to no one in particular as she flopped down on the couch, tossing her golden locks back out of habit. As if on cue, her cell phone vibrated, signaling a phone call.

"Hey ma." She answered in slight annoyance.

"Well hello daughter of mine. You sound excited to hear from me." Her mother knew her so well.

"You've been blowing me up. Can I live?" She sarcastically asked her mother. They shared a small laugh.

"Chil' don't make me break your neck. How you doin' today baby?"

"I'm doing." She simply replied.

"We'll me and your dad are thinking about flying out there next week and-"

"Ma! I don't need you and pa to baby sit me. Stay in California. I'm fine. I'm coming next month for his birthday anyway." She hated when her mom treated her like a kid, but she knew she couldn't help it. She was her baby girl.

"I'm not gonna argue with you on this. Fine. I'll see you next month." Her mother gave up. Aubrey sighed lightly.

"Sorry mommy. Long day at the hospital. I'm tired."

"I understand baby. Get you some rest. Call me later. Love you." She said to the younger her.

"Love you back." Aubrey said before hanging up.

It was true, she had a long day at the hospital. Her body was drained, feet were hurting and she hated going in. It was always crowded.

Then she thought about that man she had bumped into. His strong scent of cologne enticed her. He was indeed a beautiful work of art. She couldn't deny that. His smooth baritone sent chills through her.

She had almost ran away in fear that she'd say something stupid. Her breath seemed to be stuck in her throat. He had literally taken her breath away...