Honesty

Aubrey was nervous. She hadn't anticipated a date in years. Blame it on her boy crazed cousin, the drinks she had that night, or maybe the recent diagnosis she received. She was both happy and sad about it.

A part of her feels like she shouldn't even give it a chance, but everyone deserves a little fun. In her mind, a date with a guy like Michael was just a one time thing.

She knew what kind of guy he was: pretty boy, artistic, beautiful face, charm and personality. He was every girl's dream, she was sure; the type of guy who slept with two twin sisters, and their best friends. Yet still, she agreed to a date with him. In the back of her mind, she knew it wouldn't work and maybe it was just a decision she made in order to keep her mind off of Mr. Grinch, but she wanted to live like normal women in their twenties. Tonight, she would.

"Coming!" Aubrey heard Lena yell after a knock on the door.

Lena had strolled in late afternoon, walk of shame of course, with the biggest smile on her face. Not to mention a few love marks on her neck.

Aubrey looked at herself once more. She decided on a pair of black joggers with leather stripes down the sides and a black and white baseball jersey, with white and black Jordan 11s on her feet. Her hair was pulled up into a nice bun to complete her look. She was dressed simple, just like he told her to.

Walking into the living room, her eyes fell to Michael. There he stood with a nervous smile on his face and a bouquet of fresh, pink roses. The corners of her mouth turned up into a smile, mirroring her infatuation with the roses.

"Hey..." He said in a nervous tone. Wait, he was nervous?

"Hey," She looked between him and the flowers. "They're beautiful."

She shuffled toward him and grabbed the fresh bouquet, dropping them into the empty vase on the coffee table. Then sniffing them.

"Lena could you put these in some water please?" She asked Lena after walking toward Michael, who was standing by the door.

"You're beautiful." He said in reply, causing her face to turn pink.

"Awww. Isn't that cute! You kids have fun! Be home before dark."

They headed out the door after sharing a laugh at Lena's remark.

After getting into Michael's car, they began their ride to their destination.

"So, where are we going?" Aubrey asked almost immediately.

Michael chuckled.

"Just relax girl. You can trust me. I think you'll like it." He smiled at her, causing her cheeks to turn pink for the second time that night. My oh my, did he have an affect on women. 

Before she knew it, they had pulled up to a go-kart arcade. She smiled wide. It had been so long since she has did anything like this.

"Take it you like it?" Michael took note of her grin.

"Let's go!" excited was an understatement.

.

.

.

"I expected more out of a guy who loves cars." She said as they got back into his truck.

"I was being nice. I can't put you to shame on the first day baby." He said blushing a bit and starting up the car. 

Aubrey had a great time with Michael. He made her laugh and she had fun rubbing it in his face that she had won. She was getting more comfortable with him. Not to mention he isn't bad to look at.

"Where to now?" She asked, not ready for the night to be over.

"I figured we'd end the night with ice cream." He said, in more of a questionable tone. She smiled and nodded.

She watched Michael as he drove toward the ice cream parlor. He was so dreamy. He unconsciously bit his lip and her insides turned. She was having such a great time on a date with such a nice guy. But something was off to her. She felt like she was too comfortable with him. 

"What's wrong?"  She hadn't noticed her face had revealed her thoughts.

"Just thinking. I'm okay." She replied with a small smile. He tilted his head but gave a small smile back to her.

"You can tell me. Are you not having a good time?"  He asked her. She immediately nodded her head.

"I am. It's just that I feel like I may be having too much of a good time. You're making it too easy for me to like you." He laughed at her response.

"Well, thats the first time I've heard that." He stated honestly. "And that bothers you?"

She thought about it. Maybe it did make her sound a little silly. She laughed a bit.

"It's just that, I know your type. The type of guy that'll be taking out another girl by next week and I'll be a former conquest in due time." The honesty stung him a bit; she could see it on his face.

"Sorry, my honesty tends to get the best of me sometimes."

"No, I appreciate it." He stated with a stale voice. He sighed then spoke up, reluctantly at first.

"You're right. Guess I don't hide it very well but that is who I am." She looked down at her fingers and her cheeks got hot. She couldn't tell if it was from anger or embarrassment.

"I don't have to always be that guy. I like you Bre. I really do. You have my attention right now and that's much further than any other woman has gone with me." She appreciated his honesty. She nodded and smiled and they rode the rest of the way in a comfortable silence, listening to music.

She decided to just see where this went with him anyway. It wasn't like she was committed to anyone. Besides, she deserved a little fun.