Chapter Eleven - Same Mistakes

Louis sighed shortly and shifted the phone at his ear. “Yeah, mate, I’m fine.”

Zayn was efficient in his words as always, but Louis could tell he was concerned because he pressed him more than usual. “Everything’s fine with Charlie?”

“Yeah, everything’s fine. Actually I’m on my way to his birthday party, so I have to go.” Louis tried not to be short, failing more than he realized.

“Okay, mate. Let me know if you need anything.” Zayn conceded, and it made Louis angry that he didn’t sound convinced.

“I’m fine, Zayn. Bye.” He spat quietly and ended the conversation, his phone thrown to the passenger’s seat. Why did everyone seem so concerned about him all the sudden? He was fine. Totally fine.

His jaw clenched as his in-law’s street came into view. One more turn and he’d be in the middle of it all again. The closer he got, the more tense he felt. Maybe one more trip around the block-- just one more trip to convince himself that he was fine. Because he was, wasn’t he?

He circled the block for the third time, thinking of what had happened the last time he’d seen her. If he was being honest, it had terrified him. That wasn’t supposed to happen. He wasn’t supposed to feel like that about her ever again. And he certainly didn’t enjoy the panic that overtook him-- shortening his breath and making him anxious in all the worst ways.

Letter boxes ticked by as he rolled his tongue in his mouth. He’d spent the last few weeks reminding himself of every reason why they didn’t work, trying to drown out the beautiful memories with which his mind had continued to plague him. She isn’t like that anymore, he’d tried to tell himself. But, he kept coming back to the same thing every time: He missed her. He loved her. And he was insanely jealous over her.

“Dad!” Charlie yipped excitedly and ran to link himself onto Louis’ leg, just like he’d done since he was a wee lad.

Louis pretended to have been attacked, howling as he drug his foot across the floor with Charlie’s little body dangling off. They both were in fits of laughter as Louis reached down to loosen Charlie’s grip with a tickle.

“Happy birthday, bub.” he giggled into his ear as Charlie scooted off his leg. “Now give me a proper cuddle.”

Charlie’s arms wrapped around Louis’ lowered neck, and Louis pulled him up as he stood straight again. With their heads level and his arms around him, Louis looked Charlie in the eye and gave him a mischievous grin.

“Did you open your presents yet?” he asked and Charlie giggled.

“No, dad, not yeeett.” Charlie replied, still giggling. “Mum says we have to eat first.”

“Eat first?! Presents are way more important than eating.” Louis teased and walked further into the house with Charlie on his hip. “Where are they at? Your presents?”

“The living room, I think!” Charlie responded, his excitement rising.

Louis hauled the boy through the foyer into the living room, stopping in front of the fireplace to let Charlie down. A dozen brightly colored packages lay strewn over the white bricks, strung up with matching bows that seemed to be as tight as the muscles in Louis’ neck.

“Can I open one?” Charlie looked up at his dad, his eyes holding all sorts of giggles and laughs.

Louis looked over his shoulder, pretending to be on the lookout for Charlie’s grandparents and mum. “Better hurry,” he answered with a wink.