4 / The Champion Selection

That day held the announcement of the champions and it dragged on for what seemed like an eternity; everyone could feel the tension that settled in the hallways and classrooms of Hogwarts. When dinner finally came and went, everyone sat in anticipation, waiting to hear the three champions that were to been chosen for the tournament. It felt like the anxiety hovered in a dense cloud where Willow, Jordan and Draco sat at the Slytherin table.

Willow sent darting glances towards her grinning brother across the way, trying to quell the rising nausea within her. All through dinner she had picked idly at her food, excusing the heavy sickness and concern for her brother's participation in the dangerous games that were to be held.

She remembered the heavy pit in her stomach as the same feeling she had felt watching Oak drop his paper into the blue flames of the Goblet. His grin of victory was nothing like the dark dread that rose in her throat, and settled on her chest.

In a moment everyone had been aching for, Dumbledore stood at the front of the hall, silence following him as he went. Willow pushed down the sickness to focus on his booming words.

"Now, the Goblet of Fire will choose the contestants for the Triwizard Tournament." The audience erupted into a round of applause and everyone's eyes shifted to gaze upon the magnificent greystone goblet. The detail carved into the surface of the cup gave it a rough look that complimented the raw beauty of it. Cool blue flames blazed in a raging fury atop of the rim, sending a shock wave of excitement into the hearts of all its admirers. All except for Willow.

Willow felt herself get goosebumps along with the same gut wrenching feeling as before as Dumbledore cautiously stretched his hand out to the scarlet flames and caught the first piece of parchment as it flew into the air, displaced by the magic goblet.

"Our first champion," Dumbledore announced in a booming voice, "is Fleur Delacour from Beauxbatons!" The school of French witches exploded in congratulations. Willow let out a short breath of relief in looking to the winner, Fleur. She was the same part-Veela girl that she had noticed when the Beauxbatons first arrived at Hogwarts in all of their splendor.

The grand hall slowly quieted and waited for the next victor. The Goblet spit out another name, and catching it Dumbledore read out in a clear, loud voice, "Oak Brodigan from Durmstrang!" Oak whooped in victory which did not help Willow's feeling of illness. She didn't quite understand the feeling she held, for her and Oak had accomplished dangerous stunts and adventures countless times over the years; it left the girl puzzled.

The Durmstrang students roared in approval, and there were quite a few from the Hogwarts masses that cheered as well. Oak seemed to have gained popularity from both of the schools in his few short days at the castle, which was no surprise to those that knew him. His charming demeanor and friendly stature made him instantly beloved by all, getting a little extra attention from a few swooning witches.

Finally a third piece of parchment paper appeared and the whole mass of students and teachers sat on the edge of their seats. "And from Hogwarts," Jordan and Willow held their breath, as Dumbledore spoke "We have Cedric Diggory."

Jordan, furrowed her brow. In all honesty, the redhead had been expecting a Slytherin victor, or at least a Gryffindor. It came as a surprise to her that a mere Hufflepuff student would have enough bravery to even consider the position. She shook her head slightly to try and clear her head of such thoughts, for she had only then realized how similar her thoughts were becoming to her parents'; too close for her liking.

Willow watched her brother smile and wave as he and the other champions made their way to the front of the great hall and were lead into a seperate room by McGonagall. The mass of Witches and Wizards applauded with cheers and yells as they left, and the mood of the big room was uplifted with victory.