Smoke

Connor's mind was sluggish, he felt tired- but not physically tired more 'emotionally drained'. Of course he was physically tired as well, but like most high schoolers he hadn't had a full night of sleep in years and had learned to live with the heavy-headed numbness it caused.

For both his first two periods he just doodled, paying minimal attention. Normally when he was like this he just bunked and got high, but Evan existed so he couldn't. He didn't want to look into the periwinkle raindrops of Evan Hansen's eyes and tell him, 'My parents fought last night, so I skipped school and did pot in the park by the local elementary school'. I mean he could bunk then lie to Evan, but that was just wrong-feeling. So he just embraced he pure anhedonic numbness and stuck it out.

Well apart from the three times he went to the bath room and smoked.

He'd quit to a certain extent but even for Evan the 'cleanest' he could go was only vape and e-cigarettes for a week. It's not like he hadn't tried to quit, it's just at this point he figured it was better to just smoke lightly most the time and get really high when he had a mental breakdown then to throw away all of his drugs and when he felt the need to take a drag do something worse. Like cut or sneak out and inject himself with something he'd regret.

Thoughts of smoke subsided as he walked out of Maths and saw Evan smiling at him from across the corridor.
"Hey Ev!"
"You ok embro? You look a bit-"
"-like a skeletal druggo who hasn't slept in weeks?"
"Well I was going to say dead on the inside but I mean cool cool."
"TWENTY MINUTES OF BREAK HOW SHOULD I SPEND THEM!" Connor sung, way too loud.
"SPEND THESE TWENTY MINUTES GETTING FREAKY!" Evan continued, ending by putting a finger in the corner his mouth and licking it 'seductively'
"Ewww, gross Hansen." Connor groaned.

"That's what I was going to say when I saw who he was with," a voice chirped up from behind them. Connor spun on his heels to see the self proclaimed 'Insanely Cool' Jared Kleinman.
"You have a problem Kleinman?"
"Yes I do, and his name rhymes with Shmonner Smurfy," his voice laced wih sarcasm.

"Care to elaborate?" Connor challenged.
"Okay, first things first; you're freakishly tall, it's weird you look like a noodle. You've got hair that was cool in two thousand and six and wet you just look like a poodle-"
"Imma stop you there, Dan is not on fire? Really?"
"I'd like to see you do better."
"If this were a musical, your solo song would be cut. Not only that it would be about something dumb like memes. If you were a breakfast cereal, you'd be chocolate shreddies. You look fun and exciting but when you get down to it you're just a bland blob drowning in chocolate milk and self pity-"
"SHUT UP!" Evan shouted.
"Oh my god, sorry it's just this is stupid a-and youguysarebeing loud and-"
"We get it, anyway I guess I'm not wanted here you arse faces. Bye!" Jared stormed off, anger and hurt in his eyes.

"You just had to didn't you? Jared has been my friend for years now. Sure a bit of a shit friend but that doesn't mean you should be mean. I'm way too worked up right now, I just need a minute. Talk to me- talk to me later." And with that Evan left too. Connor slammed his head into the wall multiple times before stalking off, out through the school gate.

[A/N: I've never done drugs or been addicted to anything like them. I based Connor's relationship with them off of my own slightly self destructive habits (? Not really the right word, can't think of anything better). Sorry if it's inaccurate due to this.]