CHAPTER TWELVE

Just a short filler! Proper update coming soon-ish!

"And that's why I got beat up today." Iris finishes telling her parents the reason she's covered in bruises. Phil gets up and holds her in a tight hug, causing her to wince as she's currently very fragile.

When Phil releases her, Dan takes his turn. Gently wrapping his arms around his daughter. he whispers in her ear, "Can I talk to you for a moment? Alone?"

Iris' whole body stiffens. Any kid who hears those words knows this won't be good. And even if it is, they still worry. "Alright."

She leads Dan into her bedroom, taking a seat on the bed. She pulls on her sleeves, terrified about what this will be about.

"Show me your arms." The statement sounds more like a question, and Iris' heart heart doesn't fail to drop. There's no getting out of this one.

She pulls up her sleeve, revealing new and old burns. Dan doesn't even gasp. He carefully traces the lines with his large fingers. There's pain written on his face, but it's not as bad as Phil.

Unlike Him, Dan doesn't ask why. He already knows. He's already suspected. He already understands.

"Why aren't you questioning me?" Iris breathes out.

"Because I have these, too." Dan whispers. Iris' eyes widen as Dan begins to pull at his waistband. He drags his pants and boxers down, just below his hips, revealing the deep cuts on them.

They aren't new, but they still cause Iris concern. His own father? No wonder Phil knew how to react, he's seen this before. No wonder he was so hurt; the two people he loves the most are not capable of loving themselves.

And now Iris has two of her own.

* * *

Skye laughs at the sight of Iris on her laptop screen. "Ah man, Green Eyes. What'd they do to you?"

Iris frowns at her webcam. "I told a jerk off."

Skye laughs harder. "Jerk off!"

"Oops. I didn't mean to say that." Iris covers her mouth, giggling a bit at herself.

"Hasn't even been a minute yet and you've already made things awkward." Skye scoffs. "Teach me your ways."

"Oh, I can do a backflip, wanna see?" Iris asks, not waiting for an answer, before turning her back to Skye and holding up her middle fingers.

"Very funny." Skye says sarcastically.

Iris turns back around, a huge smile on her face. "You know who else is funny?"

"Hitler." Skye says, at the same time Iris says "Your mum."

"Oh." Iris' face looks shocked, but she stifles a laugh. "Isn't that racist or something?"

"Well, I'm already going to Hell," Skye states, getting up to lay on her flat stomach on her - the hospital's - bed. "Who cares?"

"I bet you care a lot." Iris states back.

"About you," - Skye winks - "Yes."

Iris blushes, "Stop it, you."

"Stop what?" Skye teases.

"Being so- ugh."

"Don't you just hate that?" She pushes. "Admit it, Iris Howell-Lester, you hate me."

"More like the opposite." Iris says, under her breath.

"What?" Skye's face lights up.

"I said 'Just get off of it.'" Iris lies.

"What does that even mean?"

"I mean, stop being silly. You know I don't hate you." Iris' voice drops to a serious tone.

"Do I really, though?" Skye asks.

"I'm Skype-ing you at two o'clock in the morning right now." Iris states innocently.

"I suppose." Skye considers. "But I kind of forced you."

"I could've said no."

"But you didn't."

Because I'm in love with you.

Or maybe it's just infatuation? Whatever the case, Iris' words go unsaid. If Skye were here, she'd crush their lips together by now. But alas, she's miles away.

"Iris?"

"Yeah, Skye?" Iris' attention is brought back to her laptop screen.

"Is everything alright?" Her voice is suddenly laced with concern.

No. "Yeah."

"Are you sure?" Skye tries again.

Iris' voice is barely a whisper and she looks down at her hands. "I don't know."

"What's not alright?" Skye asks.

"Everything."

"What do you mean?" Skye pushes too far.

"Everything, Skye!" Iris shouts. "Everything is not alright and I would rather-"

A small voice suddenly appears on Skye's line. "Skyelar Pereira. Right now it is quiet time; you'd best be getting your sleep."

"Okay, okay." Skye holds her hands up in defeat. She turns her attention back to Iris. "I'm sorry, darling, I have to go. I'll message you tomorrow."

She's gone in a flash.