Prologue

13 Years Ago

My giggles filled my room as I lied down watching Uncle Bobby sing the national anthem on the Proud Family Movie. He was so silly! I wish I had a crazy uncle like him.

My laughter was cut off when my mommy entered my room. The smile on my face disappeared as soon as I looked at her. She looked so sad and I could tell she had been crying.

"Mommy what's wrong?" I asked her in a small voice.

Instead of answering she released a sigh and closed her eyes. Then she walked toward me and sat down next to me on my bed.

"Come here baby girl," she said as she helped me sit up on my bed. I stared at her feeling frightened. My mommy hardly ever cried. She wrapped me in a tight hug then pulled back to place her hand on my face.

"There's no easy way to say this but your daddy he...he had a heart attack today. He's at the hospital. We have to go see him now," she struggled to get the words out. Her eyes were filled with tears and she gripped me in another crushing hug.

Hours later my mommy and I sat in my daddy's room. He had a bunch of tubes and wires plugged into him. It was hard to believe this happened to him. I thought only old people went to hospitals. He was older than my mommy but I hadn't thought about it much before. I couldn't tear my eyes away from him. I thought I might miss him opening his eyes if I did.

"Mommy why isn't he waking up?" I whispered.

"He's very sick baby girl. He might not..." she started sobbing before she could finish.

She didn't need to finish for me to know she was going to say he may not wake up. I didn't believe her though. My daddy was strong and always there for me when I needed him.

Next week was the Father-Daughter dance at school and I knew he would be there for me. He wouldn't disappoint me and leave me. I was only in 10 but I knew daddies weren't supposed to die so soon.

———————————

On the day that I was supposed to be going to the Father-Daughter dance I was helping my mommy bury my daddy. He promised me he would live to see me have my own kids one day but he lied.

As his casket was lowered into the ground my mommy screamed and the noise pierced through me causing me to lose my breath. I would never see my daddy again and it hurt more than I thought possible to think about it. The sounds around me seemed to fade away as I stumbled to the ground. The realization that he was gone and not coming back ripped a hole in my heart that I felt would never heal.