chapter 20

Kiana

Looking around August's office, I start to notice the little things. Like the picture that sits  on his shelf of a little girl that has similar features as him. But I can't really tell since the picture frame is small and is shoved in the back with books. Like he's  trying to hide and forget all about the little girl.

I hum a little bit to myself still looking at the little girl. She looks so innocent and happy not a care in the world. I would love to take her place.

" No you wouldn't." I hear August say lowly. Oh geez I spoke out aloud .....again. I inwardly groan. I nod my head, Immediately looking down.  I can't all but think about his comment. Why wouldn't I be  happy to be in her place? Not a care in the world, no pain... just love. I would just die for a ounce of love or even the tiniest affection from someone.

I hear August clear his throat.
" You can look at me." He says. I finally meet his eyes. They held so much emotion that it was hard to decipher. But one emotion that I do know that shines so bright and clear as day, is rage. I know that emotin all to well. But why is he so angry, he knows the guy that hit him and he already got the car fix. Hell he even got a brand new car. So why hold all this angry?

" So your telling me that this low life, wanna be gang banger hit me, and wrecked my car?" Wow..... not even he almost killed Kiana in the mist. Well I know how much he cares about me.  I scoff lowly.

" And what does this whole mess have to do with you?" He points to Harley. I immediately looked up.

" I....um.. I ...." Harley stutters.
" She's my friend." I jump in, she looks at me with wide eyes.

" I thought you didn't  have friends... remember." He says and raises his eyebrow, staring at me directly in the eyes.

"Yes I do remember." I say nodding my head.
"But I also remember,not knowing if she was alive. Like I said before my boyfriend was no angel." He just nods his head.

" So where do we go from here ?" Shayaa says.
"Go get the others...... we have business to attend to. And for you." He points to Harley. " Go wait down stairs until I figure out what to do with you."

" You ain't got to worry about her.  She's my business. I'll handle it." He says to August. He only nods and looks towards me .

" And you... you need to go clean and start dinner."
" But with all do respect... I would like to know what's going to happen.  I mean I know its my job  to clean in all, but I'm just involved in this as much as the next person." Knowing what I said could get me killed or fired but I just had to speak up.

"   What did I say ?" August says while slightly raising his voice.
"But..."
"No buts... I said go clean and thats what I meant. Now don't think I won't put a bullet through your skull for disrespecting me. " I lowered my head.

"Now get out my face, before I change my mind. Making it easier on the both of us."

" Yes sir." I say softly and head out the room with Harley in tow with Shayaa.

" Lets go Harley, so we can hang for a little bef....."
" She's coming with me." I snap my head up to him.
" Come on Shayaa, please I haven't seen her in a while." I say.
"Me and lil mama need to talk about somethings right naw. Maybe afterwards." He says shrugging his shoulders like it wouldn't matter to him if we did or didn't.

"Alright." I say with a huff. I turn around on  my heels and head to the kitchen, getting  started on dinner. I don't need August ripping me a new one about dinner not being ready.

Harley

"Shay...." I say breathlessly. All I want to do is kiss this man into the oblivion  and tell him how sorry I am that things have to be this way, but I refrain.