Chapter 8: The Sorting Hat

Hayley POV

Everyone had said they were alright which made Hagrid relieved. After a few minutes of just standing here the door swung open within a second out came a witch wearing emerald green robes. I immediately knew this was Professor McGonagall because I met her when she gave me my Hogwarts letter. Without anyone noticing Professor McGonagall shot a smile in my direction so I smiled back. Everyone around me though she looked stern and strict just by how she was standing. However I didn't think so, Professor McGonagall was probably just strict at teaching but is a very nice person who you can talk to.

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall." Hagrid said pointing out all of the first years.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here." Professor McGonagall told Hagrid.

Professor McGonagall then pulled the door wide open so all of the first years could get through. The Entrance hall was beyond what I imagined it could be. The hall were surrounded with stone walls that had flaming torches on the walls. At the end of the hall of all us first years could see a magnificent, grand marble staircase that led to the upper floors. We all followed Professor McGonagall across the stone floor that paved the castles floors. I started to feel the Hogwarts vibe, people were talking with each other,some people were doing spells and even the general feel of the castle made it extraordinary. Professor McGonagall then showed us into a small empty chamber off the hall. Everyone crowded in around Professor McGonagall, but were standing close together to make sure everyone could see her properly.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," said Professor McGonagall. " The start-of-term feast will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses." "The Sorting is a very important ceremony because while you are here, your house will be something like your family at Hogwarts." "You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory and spend free time in your house common room." "The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin." "Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards." "While you're at Hogwarts your triumphs will earn you points, while any rule-breaking will lose house points."

"That's going to be us ain't it Fred." George whispered to Fred, unfortunately for them I overheard them.

"No you will not lose your house points just because you want to cause chaos." I said sternly to George not looking him in the face.

"Of course not." George lied trying to see who said that they would cause chaos.

"At the end of the year the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup which is a great honour." Professor McGonagall continued her speech. "I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours." "The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a couple of minutes, in the Great Hall, in front of the whole school."

"In front of the whole school oh help me please." A girls voice shouted to Professor McGonagall from behind me.

"It's nothing to be nervous about dear." Professor McGonagall said whilst trying to comfort the girl whose name I didn't know. "I recommend you all smarten yourselves as much as you can while you're waiting." "I shall return when we're ready for you."

Professor McGonagall was about to go into the Great Hall.

"Wonder how the sorting works?" George asked his twin brother Fred.

"I BET WE HAVE DO SOMETHING REALLY COOL." Fred shouted, heads were now turning his way including Professor McGonagall's.

"Wait quietly Mr Weasley." Professor McGonagall said sounding quite annoyed at Fred. "Same goes for all you be quiet."