two.

JASON

╔═══════ ≪ °❈° ≫ ═══════╗

THEY DIDN'T TRY very hard on the worksheet. For one thing, Jason was too distracted by the storm and his own mixed-up feelings. For another thing, he didn't have any idea how to "name three sedimentary strata you observe" or "describe two examples of erosion."

Hana was slightly dancing, swaying her hips to a song they couldn't hear; Jason doubted there was even music playing - he dubbed her the free spirit type.

Leo was no help. He was too busy building a helicopter out of pipe cleaners, he seemed to be having fun though and once in a while cracked a joke which Hana exposed to be one she heard fifteen different times.

"Check it out." He launched the copter. Jason figured it would plummet, but the pipe-cleaner blades actually spun. The little copter made it halfway across the canyon before it lost momentum and spiraled into the void.

"How'd you do that?" Jason asked in awe.

Leo shrugged. "Would've been cooler if I had some rubber bands."

"If you wanna keep working on it Lion Boy, here's some." Hana grinned before flicking the ones he shot in her eyes before back to him.

"Seriously," Jason said, "are we friends?"

"Last I checked." Leo shrugged.

"You sure? What was the first day we met? What did we talk about?"

"It was ..." Leo frowned. "I don't recall exactly. I'm ADHD, man. You can't expect me to remember details."

"It's hard for us, Leo more however - his ADHD is off the charts." Hana shrugged.

"But I don't remember you at all. I don't remember anyone here. What if—" Jason tried to work out, Hana was feeling more and more bad for him as he tried to work out what to do.

"You're right and everyone else is wrong?" Leo asked. "You think you just appeared here this morning, and we've all got fake memories of you?"

A little voice in Jason's head said, 'That' exactly what I think'. But it sounded crazy. Everybody here took him for granted. Everyone acted like he was a normal part of the class - except for Coach Hedge and Hana Nakamura, two people he could never work out, especially the latter.

"Take the worksheet." Jason handed Leo the paper. "I'll be right back, Hana I'll need your help." Hana nodded before following a beckoning Jason.