thirteen.

NARRATOR

NARRATOR

╔═══════ °° ═══════╗ 

"WHO THE HELL are you?" Hana asked, sword pointed at the smiling woman.

A woman had just appeared in front of them. She wore an elegant black dress with diamond jewelry, and she looked like a retired fashion model—maybe fifty years old, though it was hard for Hana to slap an age on her. Her long dark hair swept over one shoulder, and her face was gorgeous in that surreal super-model way—thin and haughty and cold, not quite human. With their long red-painted nails, her fingers looked more like talons; some mad nail job.

She smiled. "I'm so happy to see new customers. How may I help you?"

Leo glanced at Jason like, 'All yours, my man.'

"Um," Jason started, "is this your store?"

The woman nodded. "I found it abandoned, you know. I understand so many stores are, these days. I decided it would make the perfect place. I love collecting tasteful objects, helping people, and offering quality goods at a reasonable price. So this seemed a good ... how do you say ... first acquisition in this country."

"No retail worker is that happy, what are you waffling about?" Hana rolled her eyes, not bothering to show the woman any courtesy, she didn't have any anyway.

She spoke with a pleasing accent, but Hana couldn't guess where from.

"So you're new to America?" Jason asked.

"I am ... new," the woman agreed. "I am the Princess of Colchis. My friends call me Your Highness. Now, what are you looking for?"

"Colchis..." Hana murmured under her breath, the name was familiar like she'd read it somewhere before - but after not sleeping for so long and after everything that had happened, she couldn't place it.

Piper poked Jason in the ribs. "Jason ..."

"Um, right. Actually, Your Highness ..." He pointed to the gilded cage on the first floor. "That's our friend down there, Gleeson Hedge. The satyr. Could we ... have him back, please?"

"Of course!" the princess agreed immediately. "I would love to show you my inventory. First, may I know your names?"

"You don't need to know." Hana snapped immediately, giving her a dirty look.

Piper started to say, "Jason, I wouldn't—"

"This is Piper," he said. "This is Leo, the girl with the sword - put that away aswell - is Hana. I'm Jason."

"I'm gonna kill you, Grace." Hana hissed as her sword disappeared in a white haze and it became a white cuff bracelet; resting on her small but strong wrist.