6 - Sanctuary

-

During finals, Uri had started suffering from anxiety attacks. The pressure was on, and she cared - because she knew her parents would have, too. The voices stealing her breath sounded just like them, but they were disappointed. If she failed, she knew it's all she'd think about. She had considered taking mentats, but even that wouldn't work. What would her father think about her cheating? She had to do it on her own.

As Uri leads Arthur and Danse up the road, away from Concord, she's reminded of those anxiety attacks. She is trying her best to hide the way her lungs feel like they are closing in. The school counsellor told her all about mindfulness, so instead of fighting the way her body strains, she focuses her attention on the gravel crunching beneath her feet. It's a beautiful day. The sun is beating down on them, and she finds herself wishing for her vault suit... well, Vault-tec got one thing right. Somehow, they managed to design the most sustainable, comfortable suits imaginable. She finds she has never been neither too hot nor cold, when wearing it. The problem lies in its harsh, eye-catching colours. Terrible for stealth, she had elected to leave it in the care of those remaining in Sanctuary.

They are almost there, now. She stumbles over an old mole rat hole, and a flash of a memory hits her - the way her hands shook as she fired wildly at the creatures, Dogmeat tackling one after another like a pro whilst she was left fighting. She's come a long way since then... But being back here isn't helpful. She wants to protect Sanctuary, but she doesn't want to be here. Sadly, she doesn't have the luxury of choice.

Once Uri became stable enough to no longer need Cade's care on standby, Arthur had called for a meeting with Kells and the Proctors. There, Danse and Uri had to present their findings to the main figureheads of their chapter. Everyone was thrilled that they finally knew how to get into the Institute, but there was still the matter of finding the Courser...

Arthur finally proposed that he should lead the team to do this. Kells was immediately against the idea - as had been expected - but the Elder put up a good fight. Despite being a good twenty years younger than the Lancer-Captain, Arthur has been involved in the heaviest of battles out of the pair of them. He reminded him and the others of his battle with Shepherd, the fight with the Deathclaw and how he lead the negotiations to return the Outcasts to their ranks. Despite her sarcastic responses in the past, Uri finds herself feeling proud of his achievements. It seems she is not the only one - for Kells begrudgingly responded by saying that it would be a matter to discuss further with the council before they could make a decision.

In line with this proposition, Arthur lifted the ban on all key staff having to stay aboard the Prydwen. Uri barely saw Ingram, after that - it seems she is not the only one who prefers the ground to the skies. After much debate, the council finally agreed to the idea. It seems, despite their need to protect the last Maxson descendant, they know that he is more capable than anyone else in the area... potentially more so than anyone else in the entirety of the Brotherhood, too. Though Uri would sooner die than boost his ego by admitting that.

The condition to this allowance was simple - they want the Brotherhood to gain a better understanding of the Minutemen, considering that Uri is their General. She tried to explain to Kells that it's more a facade than anything else - because Preston does most of the work - but it didn't make a difference to the Lancer-Captain. If anything, it just roused suspicion. Trusting Arthur's judgement, the Lancer-Captain did not fight the Elder when he said he would go and meet Preston with Uri and Danse.

"Everything alright, Knight?" Danse murmurs, causing Uri to jump. She hadn't realised they had got so close. Before, they were trailing behind her, guns at-the-ready as they scoped the area for hostiles. She just nods and pretends to be focusing her attention on stepping over a slab of overturned tarmac that was once part of the road.