12 - Too Bad

Arthur has a strike of luck; arriving on the Prydwen at an ungodly hour means that he can avoid instant questioning. As he makes his way to his quarters, the Elder prays that the mattress will swallow him whole. He is not an anxious man, but the thought of debriefing his highest ranking subordinates has him sick to his stomach. Never has he managed to sabotage a mission the way he did. Before Uri, killing a synth would have been considered a success. Now, two of his most trusted field operatives are gone - and they took the damn Courser chip with them.

How embarrassing.

Morning arrives far too soon for his liking. The sunrise has introduced a strange, radioactive looking fog that is unusual for the wastes, even by the Commonwealth's standards. It is a minor blessing in disguise, for he notices a vast amount of Scribes documenting the new phenomenon. Arthur hopes that means his officers will be sufficiently distracted. Sadly, his bubble is quick to burst. He is cornered by at least three-quarters of his officers in the first ten minutes of leaving his room. At least it gives him the opportunity to arrange the debrief himself. Maybe doing so in-person will help them look upon the situation more favourably.

"Greetings, brothers and sisters," Arthur says, once he is standing at the head of the conference table. "Please sit. We have much to discuss."

"That we do," Kells raises a brow, "first thing's first - where is Paladin Danse and Knight Sanchez?"

"In due time, Lancer-Captain. I will explain everything."

He has no choice. He has to lie. Arthur explains what he can without stripping himself of all dignity. He tells the group about the signal; how they had bumped into Gunners and made quick work of the Courser. The majority seem to be too enthralled with his story to question it. Naturally, Proctor Ingram does not fall into that category.

"So, let me get this straight. You managed to kill the Courser and get the chip?" He nods, "great. So upon retrieving the chip - instead of returning to our headquarters with it, you decided to send Danse and Sanchez off on some great expedition to decode it. Without checking in with us first?"

"If you had seen the chip, Proctor, you would have agreed that it was the best course of action. We have never dealt with technology like this--"

"And civilians have?"

"Proctor!" Quinlan yelps, "May I remind you who you are speaking to?"

"Oh put a sock in it," Ingram snaps, her tone razor-sharp. Those yellow-green eyes are unyielding as they settle back on Arthur. "At the end of the day, you are the one who ordered us to come here. Ever since, we have been on a wild goose chase looking for some crazed boogeymen. I am at wits end, Maxson. You have me overseeing two major projects, yet continue to nitpick what information you're sharing. It's getting old fast. I want that chip, Goddamnit. Where did they go?"

"Your insubordinate attitude is getting immensely tiring, Proctor. You may have known me from being a boy, but that does not give you any sort of authority over your commander." Arthur turns wild eyes to the officers around them, "Dismissed, soldiers. I would like to speak to Ingram alone."

Her expression is unreadable as the others make a hasty exit. Arthur hangs behind them. After exchanging a frustrated look with Kells, he finally slams the door closed. Now she lets her emotions show, and never has she looked so furious. That is, until he lets the stoic mask of authority fall from his features.

The woman's scathing demeanour immediately softens.

"Arthur, please - tell me what really happened."

He falls into his chair, exhaling heavily. He didn't sleep well and, truth be told, he was worried about Uri. He still is, and he already knows it's going to have a horrendous impact on his work.