Chapter 16 (INO Jonathan)

Jonathan headed straight toward Brain's room with David close behind. It had been 3 days since the portal incident, and they had established a sort of doctor's office in his room, with monitors that showed his pulse, oxygen levels, and other assorted health things.

He let David take over with helping Brian as he had taken a few courses in pediatrics. He was a qualified nurse, although he had more fun helping Jonathan with his nuclear sciences and physics. Tyler would also occasionally help them, he had taken a few psychology classes and helped with subjects and patients.

As they entered Brian's room David knocked on the door to wake him up. Brian blinked awake and gave a small smile when he saw Jonathan and David.

"Hey, guys."

He croaked, his voice weak.

"How are you feeling?"

David asked.

"I've been better, but the medication helped with the pain."

"And you said that the pain was in your lower back, a bit to the right?"

Jonathan didn't know much about human health, but he at least knew his anatomy.

Brian nodded, rubbing the spot sensitively.

"It hasn't been hurting too bad, but the medication might be wearing off."

David nodded and picked up his notebook from where he had left it on Brian's dresser.

"If you don't mind we'll be running a few more tests on you than usual."

Brian shrugged and gave a small smile.

"That's fine, I'm not doing anything anyways."

David nodded, then began doing routine tests on Brian. Taking his blood pressure, (high as always), checking his reflexes, and having him perform everything needs on a physical exam.

Brian seemed to get a little worn out as they neared the end of the exam; having half his normal lung capacity and being in bed the past few days must've really drained him.

But we need this. This is the subtlest way we can help him.

Finally, the test was over and David helped Brian back into bed.

"Sorry for the longer test today, just making sure everything is working fine."

Brian smiled groggily and yawned.

"It's fine, I think I'll just take a nap."

David smiled and nodded, writing a few more things down on the physical exam sheet.

Brian was soon asleep and Jonathan stood from where he sat on a couch.

"So? Did he pass?"

David looked back over what he had written and sighed.

"Barely. Are you sure Anthony will get Brian in?"

Jonathan nodded.

"He's the head surgeon, anything he says goes."

David frowned but nodded.

"Did you get that dialysis machine?"

He asked after a moment. Jonathan nodded and pulled a cube from his pokey, placing it on the ground before it began unfolding itself. After the machine finished David walked toward it.

"You know how to use it right?"

Jonathan asked. David scoffed.

"Of course I know how. I'm just worried he'll feel the after effects. But that's why we're doing this nocturnally..."