14 | Dead Set

Chapter 14: Dead Set

As Sanchez sat tinkering with whatever he could lay his hands on, he heard the screech of wheels outside and soon, Clark came bursting in

As Sanchez sat tinkering with whatever he could lay his hands on, he heard the screech of wheels outside and soon, Clark came bursting in. He was out of breath. It seemed like he had come sprinting back from wherever he was. 

'Detective, I don't know what we're missing here, but there's lots going on undercover. You won't believe what I just saw. Take a look.' 

He handed Sanchez the photographs he had taken and narrated all that he saw. As Sanchez was listening, his expression grew more and more baffled by the second. Clark concluded, 'I never thought we'd get a case like this. I—I really don't know what to think of this. This case is going out of hands.'

Sanchez gave out a sigh. There was something that needed to be said. He was just not sure how to put it. 'Sergeant, I know this is...unprecedented. It's the case of a lifetime. But, I'm afraid, there's no case.' Sanchez immediately regretted having said that so brashly.

'Huh?'

'Um, yeah. The chief came in like twenty minutes ago and told us not to go about picking up innocent people off the street. Morris would be tried in three days. If the judge is not so merciful, Morris could get up to eight years. He tried to tell me how arresting an innocent individual can easily villainize the police. He warned me not to make the case any more complicated than it already is.'

Clark burst in, 'But there's so much evidence. Sanders is part of some drug racket that is going on in Morris's shop basement! How the hell do you expect me to digest this?' Even as he said this, he seemed to cringe at the absurdity of the discovery. 

Sanchez replied, 'I don't know. How strange is that? Uh, I guess we are the sole people left who can do something. That is, if we want to do this.'

Sanchez could see determination burning in Clark's eyes. He had to admit, Little David was one of the best ones here. Today, he was dead set on uncovering the truth, like one of those movie heroes. Who was Sanchez to stop him?

Sanchez said, 'I reckon we do.'

'