31 | 'Now?' -'Now, we wait.'

Chapter 31: Now? —Now, we wait.

It had been a hectic week. Chaos and rush had enveloped the police station like never before. Abernathy and McCarthy had been sent to watch and report Nix's entrance. Sanchez, Chris, Conway and Griffith had already reached the Side Inn and briefed the manager. Dough, a promise of safety and a little bit of show of power had coerced the manager to do the nasty deed. They just awaited Nix's presence.

After the wait of two long hours, Griffith's phone rang. A few curt words were exchanged and the Acting Chief set the plan to motion with a nod of his head. The manager was promised a few extra dollars if he performed the job perfectly and was sent to ready the materials. Nix soon arrived, followed close on the heels by three bodyguards. But Nix was seated in a different room and the bodyguards in a different one, to prevent all risks. Their desired orders were served as the police teams observed them, hidden. No sooner had the bodyguard taken one or two mouthfuls, they started feeling dizzy and passed out in a minute, falling heavily on the table. Pity, Sanchez mused. Knights save the prince but who saves the knights? 

The room the bodyguards were sitting in wasn't crowded, so the policemen saved themselves from the prying eyes of onlookers. They hastily dragged the heavy bodyguards into a room provided by the Inn. Sanchez, Conway and Chris exchanged their clothes with the bodyguards and were suitably disguised by few artists they had paid for the day. A fake moustache here, a made-up scar there; a pair of shades and a nasty scowl completed the work. At the end of twenty minutes, they were unrecognizable. Griffith told them to do their best and drove off to the station to ready all the others. After Sanchez and team were done, they checked their handguns, revised their plans, said their mental prayers and joined Nix in the next room, trying their best to act like the original bodyguards. Fortunately, Nix did not notice any quirk. He didn't even pay any attention to them. 

They sat in Nix's car and took deep breaths as the wheels whirred to motion. They would be at their destination in an hour or a half.

The show had begun.

~

Clark adjusted his cap to hide his eyes without looking suspicious best as he could

Clark adjusted his cap to hide his eyes without looking suspicious best as he could. Damn, being a pizza delivery guy isn't as easy as it seems. He cleared his throat and started walking, a cardboard box in his hands. It was good that they hadn't seen his face the last time he was here. He entered the gates. There was no sentry at the main external gate but several armed men were standing at the door, looking ready to pounce. 

'Hey, boy, where do you think you are going?'

'I'm here to deliver this pizza. Don't you see this?' Clark said, thrusting the box towards the man who talked.

'Nobody ordered no pizza. Get outta here.'

'Uh,' said Clark as he dug into his pocket, letting a small cylindrical object fall to the ground as he took out a piece of paper. 'Isn't this 1809 Adonais Way Vernolee?'

'This is 1908. Get your eyes checked. Get out now before I drill a hole in your chest.'

'Alright! You don't have to speak like that! I'm going.' He slowly backed out. He went out of the gate and kept walking until he was well out of their sight. After a five-minute walk, he spotted the car with Curreri in its driver's seat. He opened the passenger door and climbed in. 

'Job's done?'

'Perfectly done,' said Clark as he took off his cap and ran his clammy fingers through his hair. 'Tell me about the bomb.'

It was Curreri who had arranged it. 'One of the best ones I ever got. All the way from Mexico. Small but destructive. You wouldn't expect that small a bomb to be armed with a timer and all, but it's there. A bit costly, but it's alright for me if the police are using it for a good cause. Those people are in for a surprise.'

Clark was heavy with anticipation, 'I can only hope so.'

Curreri asked, 'Now?'

'Now, we wait.'