30 | Layouts, Plans and Strategies

Chapter 30: Layouts, Plans and Strategies

Alan Griffith, Deputy Chief of the Department of Police of the Municipality of Roxlow, was the Acting Chief until the mayor appointed a new one

Alan Griffith, Deputy Chief of the Department of Police of the Municipality of Roxlow, was the Acting Chief until the mayor appointed a new one. The open murder of the previous Chief of Police had transformed the Victoria Ricci case into a major operation for the whole department, such as Roxlow probably hadn't ever seen before. 

The telephone and cell phone lines of the Chief had been searched. At last, a precise geographical location had been found out. The two spies, Abernathy and McCarthy, had again been sent there for espionage and they had returned with immensely useful information. All of the gang, all except Victoria, was staying in an old empty warehouse on the outskirts of Vernolee, in a dark, damp, uninhabited area. Secrecy was top-notch and the spies had had a difficult time doing their job. But they had persistently tried for one whole fortnight and returned unscathed. They had found out that Victoria stayed somewhere else and visited the rest of the team members every Tuesday and Thursday. This theory had been confirmed when they had overheard two of the gang members engaged in a drunk conversation while passing water in the bushes. Abernathy and McCarthy had even tried following Victoria's car once, but she had found good ways of sending them off the trail. They had somehow managed to keep their guard. They had also heard something else: that someone else was coming the following Thursday to meet Victoria, one prominent member of the group popularly known as "The Mob", Helmer Nix. The Mob was one of the most powerful drug cartels in the States. Hence, the information was priceless.

The Acting Chief, Griffith, was very supportive of Sanchez and the rest of the team, which constituted of Sanchez, Clark, Conway, Chris, Abernathy, McCarthy, and several other officers. Almost everyone in the small police department was involved.

A full-blown encounter was their only remaining strategy, now that Victoria had refused to comply. And with the evidence in their hand, the encounter would be fully justified.

A plan was in the making. During the fortnight,  Abernathy and McCarthy had made a precise layout map of the old warehouse. The warehouse might have been old and deserted, but the architect who had built it had done a commendable job. The warehouse had two storeys. The bottom storey had the main storage area, where they probably stored their "stuff". The upper storey contained the bathrooms and several small rooms, perfect for a meeting.

Conway was the first to come up with an idea. He suggested, 'I have a sneak-and-flee in mind. We could disguise and sneak someone inside. Maybe they could create a diversion and the rest of us could take them down unawares.'

Chris said, 'Okay, but who can we disguise them as? They have been living together for so long, wouldn't they notice a stranger amongst them? And how will he enter?'

McCarthy said, 'Maybe send them a large package or something, which looks like a large shipment of weed. A small man could hide inside.' He looked around in askance. All of them were big men. 'Leave it. It's an absurd idea.'