22 | A Blast from the Past

Chapter 22: A Blast from the Past

Sanchez was thrown headfirst into a turmoil of flashbacks

Sanchez was thrown headfirst into a turmoil of flashbacks. Memories which had haunted from past three years came in front of his eyes like a projection from a movie tape. The day they met at the cafe. She and him, her hands on his arm, both talking and laughing, the corners of her eyes crinkling as she did so. Her sweet scent as she lay in his arms. The smile on her rose petal lips and tears in her eyes as he slid the ring on her finger. He had thought he had everything in the world until the day she was taken away. Taken away by monsters, who demanded him to release a criminal as her ransom. He could not. Neither did he have the power, nor the morale for such a thing. He never saw her ever again. He had done all in his power to free her from her captors. But he had failed. He still remembered her bloodcurdling cries for help when she had been made to talk to him on the phone; those cries still plagued him and made him wake up in a cold sweat. She often came to him in his dreams. When he tried to reach his hand to touch her, she melted away in wisps of mist and smoke.

And yet, there she stood, in flesh and bone.

'Kimberly Marlin,' Sanchez said in a voice full of shock.

For a minute, her eyes did not betray any emotion. She assumed a stone face and stared at Sanchez. Hard. Her lovely grey eyes seemed to drill holes in his skin and penetrate deep inside, just like they had done the first time he saw her through the eyes of a lover. But this time they did not have any warmth--her stare was icy cold.

Nothing had changed but everything.

Suddenly her mouth curled up and she had a good, long laugh. This time, her face conveyed some emotion--was it contempt? He was not sure. So many questions troubled him at once and her laughter threatened to destroy any last bit of sanity that he had left inside. 

She told, facing Sanders and Hunter, 'Go and get the food from the Tavern. José will be enough for me. We are going to have some "Q-and-A's".' After they had walked out, she sat on a chair that had been brought for her, facing him. Her face was in a smirk that Sanchez did not like at all.

He thought he knew what was the answer to the question pertaining to her presence, but he was frightened to face that answer. All he knew was that the vehemence of her reaction filled him with something like venom for her.

Sanchez took a deep breath. He was about to get some answers now, he believed.

 He was about to get some answers now, he believed