24 | Escapade

Chapter 24: Escapade

Clark and Curreri dived right into the window, taking both José and Sanchez by surprise

Clark and Curreri dived right into the window, taking both José and Sanchez by surprise. Curreri easily managed to pin his hands at the back, while Clark showered him with punches and kicks. José fell to the ground after a series of well-placed blows on his upper body. But before falling, he had raised an alarm. They had to escape. Quickly.

Clark quickly untied Sanchez while Curreri guarded the door. As the ropes fell to the floor, Sanchez said, 'Thanks, Clark. I didn't expect you to come this far for me.' Clark said, 'No need to thank me, Detective. It's my case as much as yours.' When all the ropes were done, Sanchez stood up, took a deep breath and let the blood flow through his blocked blood vessels. 

'I hear footsteps,' Curreri told. They hurriedly scrambled out of the window one by one. As they pulled their skirts out of danger, they heard shouts and screams following them as several people rushed into the room. They ran as fast as they could, Clark leading the way. He heard gunshots. They're firing, he realized with terror. This time, they really ran for their lives.

They reached the car unscathed and untouched. Clark quickly revved up and swerved the car, making a U-turn to get out of the town from the other side. Just then he realized that they had escaped—the gang had only one vehicle which was absent at that moment. He thanked his stars and proceeded in the direction of Roxlow. The first part of the mission was completed. They had Sanchez back and knew what was going on behind the scenes. They knew the secrets and had evidence as well. If all went well, they would nab the crooks in no time. 

Clark was still marvelling at their audacity. And how well they played their parts! Victoria and Sanders could win the Oscars if they tried to.

No one had said a word till now. Sanchez broke the silence, 'Hey, the Bullet-tooth himself to save me! Jeez, thanks, mate. I don't know what would have happened if you guys hadn't made it here. Kim...' His mood darkened. 

Clark said, locking eyes with the detective in the rearview mirror, 'I'm sorry for that woman, Detective. I'm sure she'll never find anyone like you.'

'You say that to flatter me.'

'No, I'm being totally honest. I know it's hard, but now that you know what really happened, you can hope to move on and start afresh. And you can do it, believe me.'

Clark sensed that Sanchez felt he was right. Now that he knew what had actually happened to Kim or Victoria or Whatever-She's-Called, he must be feeling a sense of closure.

His heart had slowed down a bit as they continued to go back to Roxlow.