florence

earlier that day

it was the last day of school, and of course, it's the last day of living hell for her.

she sighed as she dropped down to her final notes that were swimming in spaghetti sauce and meatballs on the school's floor.

julian had a surprise for her first thing in the morning, and good thing she wasn't allergic to any tomato sauce or noodles.

she knew she was pinned as the school's weakling that they could always step on whenever they needed an ego boost. she was that nerdy girl who could never defend herself, verbally or physically.

"hey lingling. it's the last day of school. wanna chingchong my balls with your chopsticks?" the rowdy guy highfived his friend as florence passed by them.

as always, her head was bowed down in every step she took. it was easier that way, so they wouldn't see how much tears would always gather at the corners of her eyes.

she was already the weakling. she didn't want to appear weaker.

she suddenly bumped into someone, and the feeling of an ice cold drink poured all over her front, including her shirt, her spaghetti-drenched notes and books, and her shoulder bag.

"watch where you're going four eyes. it's already the end of the year, and you're still clumsy as fuck." it was sean's voice. "whatever."

florence watched the boy walk over to julian by the lockers, and she could only ask herself: how do they manage to sleep at night knowing they carelessly torment other people for their own strange pleasures?

"hello, weirdo." florence sighed as she heard the all too familiar voice. "look up, it's your bestfriend, autumn."

reluctantly, she glanced at the taller girl who already had her permanent malicious smirk on her face.

"looking quite delicious today, huh?" autumn laughed, along with the two girls that followed behind her like ants. "let me add one more thing to that."

florence closed her eyes as she felt a cold goo on top of her head.

she didn't bother opening her eyes as she heard autumn gleefully clap her hands.

"perfect! now you're the perfect walking dumpster! have a great college life, loser, hope you survive that shit." and florence only opened her glossy eyes once she felt autumn step away.

but one of autumn's friends, april, lingered behind as she stared at florence with sympathy and sadness.

with a sigh, april hurriedly offered florence an extra shirt she pulled out from her bag and put it on the girl's clean hand. then she sneakily slipped a note on florence's open shoulder bag.

with confused and hurt eyes, florence followed along the hesitant april as she catched up to her queen.

with an angry huff and a quivering lip, florence found herself running to her haven: the bathroom.

she locked the door behind her. she dropped her pathetic notes down the trash bin. she threw her bag on the sink. and she glared at herself through the mirror.

"why do you always let them step on you?" angry tears fell down her cheeks. "you're better than that, florence."

she harshly wiped the tears off her face, knowing that it was useless to cry when she's just going to do it all over again the next time.

but it was the last day of school. it was finally the last day of her suffering. she didn't want to give up now that she could see heaven in the form of a finish line and a diploma.