nine

at this point, everyone was tired — emotionally, physically, mentally drained and tired, that they just sat in silence as they gave up.

whoever the murderer was, they didn't care anymore.

fuck autumn miller. fuck murderers. fuck death. fuck life.

they just wanted all of this to be over with.

"hey april," julian called out.

the sniffing april who had tears in her eyes looked up to julian and replied, "yeah, why?"

"let's just fucking drink it. if we're going to die tonight, then atleast we had a taste of what the party's supposed to be."

the mention of the word dying pricked on their nerves, and the never ending fright fired up in their stomachs.

but julian was right.

"i'll get it," angelie offered, "i know how to open the back of my own car, i guess."

"can i come with?" florence spoke up, standing up from her position. "i'll help."

angelie weakly smiled in a grateful way, and she nodded. "we'll be back, guys. should we open it before bringing it here?"

not caring at all, kenneth waved his hand in dismissal and the others agreed to it.

as they walked away, zoë stood up with a huff and said, "i don't care what you guys have to say, but i have to take a shit somewhere. i'm not running away."

nobody cared about what she said, as they all shrugged their shoulders.

zoë snickered at how dead everyone looks already, but she realized she was just the same. she was just great at hiding it.

walking away, silence ensued within the group that was left.

it was if nobody had the strength to utter a single word anymore.

this was the essence of giving up on whatever shit has been thrown in you way. they didn't care anymore. they were too tired — way too tired to even care.

later on, angelie came back with the first three bottles. and the others wondered where florence went.

"took a short piss. she's coming, don't worry," and florence appeared in a rush, carefully holding the rest of the bottles.

she gently sat it down infront of each of them, and that's when sean abruptly stand up, much to florence's shock at the sudden movement.

"i don't know about you guys but my penis is about to explode. i'll be back." and the boy rushed to nowhere without any second thoughts.

the crackling fire was slowly dying down, and they wondered if that's how their insides felt like this whole time.

slowly drawing away from humanity as all hope for life was lost.

but just like a bonfire with more firewood, everything can rise up to become decent once again.

but hope was an asshole that they didn't trust anymore either.

"hey florence, wanna get firewood with me?" angelie offered as she stood over florence who peacefully watch the flames dance around.

"sure," and florence smiled at her.

as soon as they went, the four who were left gulped and gulped the intoxicating substance that they had left.

"i hate this life," julian took a swig.

"fucking psychopaths fucking up life," and kenneth took a gulp.

"i just wanted to be like autumn. but i don't want to end up dead like her too." april sobbed.

"nobody fucking cares, april. can't you see? we're all going to die," josh responded with a laugh that was empty. "i was supposed to be at home choosing between colleges."

"shut the fuck up, all of you!" julian slammed down the bottle as he widened his eyes at them.

"i just want to see the morning one last time," april said, her tears flowing like a waterfall as she downed the beer like there's no tomorrow.

maybe there is, maybe there's not.

florence and angelie gathered firewood in the place where they first got it.

they were both bended over, gathering the ones that looked okay and dry. the air was getting colder as the morning dawn slowly came.

"i just wanna go home," angelie mumbled to herself, close to tears.

"me too, angelie, me too."

"florence, can you he--"

a loud crack resounded in the air, and angelie screamed out one last name before she was finally falling to the ground with a bloody head.

"ZOË!"