CHAPTER 7:MANY RIVERS TO CROSS

(AT NORTH HILL BAPTIST CHURCH...)

(JOSH) We just arrived at the church for Grams' funeral. Jase is a mess. He ain't stopped crying since he found out. I know what he going through. I've cried so much in the past few days I'm all out of tears. I don't think I have a teardrop left to fall.

Everybody's arrived. When I tell you its a lot of people here, Its a lot of people here. Grams knew everybody and everybody knew her. She did lots of volunteer work at the nursing home, the hospital, the salvation army, the homeless shelter, and the food kitchen. She also took care of friends and family when they were sick or dying. GRAMS was one giving lady. I don't think I've met anyone who could say a bad word about her. She was loved and she gave you the same  love back. Imma miss my grandma.

                  (THE FAMILY MARCHES INTO THE FUNERAL)

(JASON) (WALKING INTO THE CHURCH CRYING) My whole body is numb. I can barely breathe. I feel as if all eyes are on me. Maybe I'm just paranoid. I walk up to the casket. There sits a lifeless Grams wearing a yellow dress with white gloves on and a yellow hat. I kissed her on the forehead.

Josh was in front of me. I can see the sadness on his face but no tears. My mom and dad and siblings and Grandma Belinda and Grandpa Wes and Stefan and Trevor and ADA Hall and Tyler and Laura and Tarren  and Uncle Scotty and Uncle Brian and Aunt Tracy all sat with the family along with our relatives from out of town.

Pastor Jones got out of his seat and walked up to the podium.

"WE ARE HERE FOR THE HOMEGOING CELEBRATION OF OUR BELOVED FRIEND GLORIA MAE HOLDEN JONES BROOKS. FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DIDN'T KNOW GLORIA, SHE WAS A WONDERFUL, KINDHEARTED, LOVING SOUL WHO LOVED SO MANY AND SO MANY LOVED HER. SHE'S BEEN A MEMBER OF THIS CHURCH SINCE 1976. SHE WOULD ALWAYS HELPING OUT WITH CHURCH FUNDRAISERS AND THE YOUTH CHOIR. AND LORD KNOWS GLORIA MADE THE BEST BLUEBERRY PIE YOU EVER WANTED TO TASTE. I ASKED HER ONCE WHAT MADE HER PIE SO SPECIAL AND SHE TOLD ME " I PUT LOTS OF LOVE INTO IT". THAT ANSWER ALONE SATISFIED ME."

                                     Everybody laughed

"I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE UP ANYMORE OF YOUR TIME. WE'RE GOING TO HEAR A SELECTION FROM GLORIA'S DAUGHTER DINA AND OUR OWN NORTH HILL BAPTIST CHOIR."

Dina gets out of her seat and she walks up the choir stand

The piano player starts playing  Walter Hawkins' "Be Grateful"

CHOIR : Be Grateful
               Be Grateful

DINA: God has not promised me sunshine
That's not the way it's going to be
But a little rain

CHOIR:A little rain

DINA: Mixed with God's sunshine
A little pain

CHOIR:A little pain

DINA: Makes me appreciate the good times
Be Grateful

CHOIR: Grateful

DINA: Be Grateful

CHOIR: Grateful

DINA: God desires to feel your longing
Every pain that you feel
He feels them just like you

CHOIR: Just like you

But he had to die to make you feel only good

CHOIR: Only good