23. alex

i sighed contentedly, as i lay on my side in bed, alex next to me.

he lay on his back, and one of my legs was across/in between his, one of my arms tucked up in front of me, filling the small gap between mine and his torso.

my other arm was gently resting on his chest, tracing patterns ever so gently, and one of his arms was under my waist, his other hand just resting on one of his hips comfortably.

i moved my hand that was on his chest up, to brush my hair behind my ear, but i noticed alex flinch as i did so.

"why did you flinch, babe?" i mumbled lightheartedly.

"i..um, sorry." he said, looking away.

"what?" i asked, not previously thinking it was anything serious, "you didn't think i'd hurt you, did you?"

"i, um, no not you, but.." he said quietly, but stopped himself.

"but what, baby? you can talk to me." i pressed a kiss to his shoulder.

"my previous girlfriend, she.. she would hit me sometimes. i guess i just flinched out of reflex. i'm sorry." he sighed.

"don't apologise, you've done nothing wrong, baby." i leant forward to kiss his lips, "i'm so so sorry you've had to go through that, but i'm not her. i would never ever hurt you." i pressed another kiss to his shoulder.

i returned my hand to his chest to continue tracing shapes comfortingly, "i love you."

"i love you too." he said, "and thank you."

"you don't need to thank me." i offered him a small smile, and he leant forward to gently kiss me.

i closed my eyes after alex did, and i just rested my palm on his chest, the two of us still comfortably in the same position as before, as we fell asleep quickly.