chapter 01

' myths purged in small places. '

━━━━━

Broken bones and torn skin, the youth reaches her ashen palms outward for mercy, but this cold place in which was some people call home is void of the mercy she needs. She is alone, hungry and lonely.

She asks herself continously, when will the pain stop?

It is frightening. The entire concept of time.

Two hundred and thirty-five days pass and the youth still remembers the first day she had to beg for scraps, to live like a rat, breath the putrid stench of the slums. Her parents have abandoned her.

They were weak creatures. And oddly, quirkless. They were both broken creatures, so irreparably lost that they seeked comfort in the clutches of their weakness.

Cowards, she thinks. She's spiteful today. Every day it's a different feeling. Twenty four hours pass and the feeling recedes and is replaced by brand new emotions. Supposedly stronger and more unforgettable.

She forgets anyway.

But the first day, the first sixty seconds, twenty four hours. Her parents were weak, but they lived. They could have decent meals and a roof and walls to protect them. The youth hated that life. Four hundred eighty minutes of torment by her classmates that mocked her parents' unsightly sight.

More than one thousand seconds of teachers throwing looks of pity and disdain. For the youth whose parents were quirkless, for the youth unlucky enough to be born to a poor poor family.

The youth had resented that life. And although, she came around to having a quirk, the rumors and the pity looks never stopped. She abhorred every single person she has crossed paths with, detested her parents most of all. Creatures, so weak and vulnerable that they couldn't even love her.

She detested that place. But it was a hundred times better than the environment the youth is currently in.

She feels the familiar sensation of anger brewing in her veins and she directs it all to the cowards she was unlucky enough to label as parents.

Two hundred and sixty-six days have passed since she received a quirk. The ability to distinguish time of objects and living creatures. She thought that it was a sign. A harbinger of change. She would finally be free.

But no.

Thirty one days have passed since her parents abandoned her in a dark alleyway, in an unfamiliar town with an unfamiliar crowd. With accents that felt foreign and everything just too swift for her to process.

They hated her. Envied her. In a society, where people looked up to those who were superior in every way, who ran to the superior for salvation and dub them heroes, those unfortunate enough to never receive quirks might as well be dead. Both the youth's parents were that unfortunate and much to their chagrin, their unloved daughter wasn't.

They were jealous of the fact that she was normal. Different from them, but acceptable in society.

So they abandoned her. Cowards.

They gave up on her, so she gave up on them too. She watered the ugly blossoms anger had grown in her chest, tended it and let the roots take hold of her heart.