chapter 31

‘ all is temporary ’

━━━━━

"Thank you for having me," Yuko said and bowed as a sign of respect. In front of her stood the Number Ten Hero Gang Orca. A massive whale shark- or was it a killer whale? Or an orca whatever that is? What the heck was an orca anyway?- occupied the uppermost parts of his body and his appearance leaned more towards... chaotic evil.

It wasn't a surprise that he landed the third top spot in Heroes That Could Pass For Villains. Yuko had prepared some jokes before coming to his agency but after seeing his intimidating appearance, she can't help but cower in her shell and be as quiet as possible.

There were three of them he chose. Yuko was one of the three along with a girl and boy from Class B. Yui and Awase, was it?

"I chose you three because among all the heroes in training in that fighting festival, you seemed to be the most flimsy ones," he began. "Some of you might expect me to go all parental figure on you so sorry to break your ludicrous bubble of fantasies. I think you're detritus, or even lower than that! You have power in you but you don't open up to the possibilities and that's why you lost."

Yuko is aware, but this is exactly why she chose Gang Orca over her other eleven options. The flames inside her have been ignited and that dream of hers to become a hero has been reinforced. She needs to be put on fire.

She does not need someone to teach her things she already knows or coddle her- that's what the hero she went under last year did. Her will has ignited and her brilliance has become better.

Of course she's aware that she's weakest at hand to hand combats, often having to rely on her quirk so the moment Gang Orca asks if there is someone who thinks can stand their ground in combat with him, Yuko, pale with fear, steps up.

His moves are slow at first, his punches and kicks visible almost as if he's willing her to lower her guard but Yuko doesn't. She continues to strike, a punch after another, never seeming to land but she will make it.

The heroes knees collide with her stomach and she's sent toppling back. Choruses of worry echo throughout the room but despite the pain, Yuko rises. After seven or so kicks and punches, her consciousness trickles and she's forced to concede.

Nevertheless, she's learned.

And she will use that knowledge she's gathered to defeat him. Just they wait. She will rise like a phoenix reborn from the ashes.

━×━

On the second day, the challenge is opened up again and this time, since her wounds haven't healed yet, she watches Awase.

Unlike her, he's nimble and lithe (and pretty cute too). Power flows through his veins and she notices how Gang Orca's focus is heightened compared to when he fought her. She feels insecurity crawl up her throat but she swallows it and eyes, like blue flames, watch with intensity.

Yuko counted seventeen punches before Awase concedes and Yui Kodai goes next. Her stature is like Yuko's, with a more placid visage and bob cut hair. She seems... fragile.

And Yuko is proven wrong because Yui, Yui is ferocious. She's like one of those agile monsters, even after twelve punches and kicks, Gang Orca has failed to land a single blow.

She's like water, going in with the flow.

It surprises Yuko, of course, when the girl concedes even without a single hint of damage.

"You could have tried harder, Kodai," Awase comments and the girl only nods as response.

"Why did you concede?" Yuko asks, curious. "You were better than the two of us at dodging."