chapter 19

' finding identities '

━━━━━

"We're going to die."

He scoffed, toyed with a strand of his now disheveled white hair. "Not yet," he said. "We'll find a way out of this."

"Well apologies, Tomoe, creature of woes and king of assholes," the youth muttered with venom. "But between the two of us, I'm actually the one here who can tell the time of death of a person so if you would be kind enough, let me touch your fingertips and after that, I'll make sure that you go first."

He ignored her, just reloaded the heavy gun on his arms. "I don't care about you," he mumbled. "But I'm not going to die today so don't you dare touch me."

She scoffed and picked up her favorite dagger. "What?" she said. "We're outgunned, outnumbered, outminded. Unless your quirk can wipe out that thing in mere seconds."

"My quirk is not suitable for fighting," he said. "It's more like a consciousness thing that doesn't really harm anyone except for me when it recoils. And as far as I'm concerned, outminded is not a word."

The youth rolled her eyes and she was half amazed that she could still do it during a situation like this. The other half was just cursing and grappling for ways to escape.

Another jagged metal spike pierced through the air just two three four inches away from them and the youth battled a welp that fought to escape her throat. Clutching her dagger, she stole one quick glance and identified the exact location of the enemy. He was strong, no doubt, having an augmentation type of quirk that allowed him to have scales of iron in both hands and doubled his throwing power, but from what she could see, other from the scaled arms, his other body parts were flesh, bone and blood.

If she managed to slit his throat, in the carotid artery All For One had taught her once, it would be fatal and as it stood, fatal was the thing they needed.

"What are you going to do?" The youth looked at the white haired creature next to her, remembering that he was still there. He could be the distraction, she thought and stretched as another jagged spike soared through the air and pierced a nearby metal container. So far, the enemy was still unaware of their location.

"Nothing for now," she replied. "But you are."

"What?" he asked, but she chose to ignore him. The sound of his hurtful words still echoed through the expanse of her skull and it was little moments like this that made even drops of something sweet cover her taste buds.

He was still watching the youth with half-narrowed eyes, evaluating, drumming the tips of his fingertips against his lower lip as if he was trying to coax the answer from his lips. His gestures were all over the place, and using that to describe his personality was a grand understatement.

Then the idea came to her. "Distract him," she told Tomoe. "Toss anything, something at him, as long as it manages to block someone coming from either sides from his vision."

"I'll zero in on him from the left," she explained. "As long as I'm two meters near him, I'll manage. He swings from his left before throwing a pipe so the moment his arms move to throw, I'll rip his carotid artery apart."

"Make sure the distraction is strong," she says and grasped the knife tighter. "It'll be your goddamned fault if this fails."