twenty two

I stood to the side, trying not to be seen, listening to everything.

But I was so confused.

Mom cheated on dad? I thought they just fought or something.

Well what would I know, i was only 8. I'm 15 now. 7 fucking years of a lie. How could I know?

Mom: it was an accident!

James: oh! so you're saying that Aniyah and I were an accident too!

Mom: no! Where are you even getting this from!

James: oh don't lie to me after all these years! YOU THINK I ACTUALLY BELIEVED YOU WHEN U SAID THAT YOU AND DAD JUST GOT IN A FIGHT? REALLY? IM NOT THAT FUCKING GULLIBLE, MOM

She was utterly speechless, but James did have a point.

James: I'm ashamed to even call you my mother, you turned both aniyah and I into the people we are now. LOOK AT YOURSELF, YOURE A MESS

I ran up to my room. I slammed the door shut and broke down crying.

What was wrong with me? Did I cause all of this? What did I do to deserve this? What did I do wrong? Is it my fault? Was I a mistake.

More questions raced around in my mind as tears streamed down my face.

*****

*12 am, friday*

I walked along the road, in some sweatpants and a shirt. I had been out here, roaming around for a while.

I reached a field of pure grass, and laid down, stargazing.

I tried focusing on other things, trying to clear my mind.

It worked for a while, but then it all flooded back in.

I stayed out all night, I didn't wanna go back home. I never wanted to go back home.

It finally stumbled around 7 am, so I had to go home.

I got there and climbed in my window and put on some new clothes. I tried to forget everything. I got ready and grabbed my backpack and phone, and climbed back out my window.

Then I headed off to school.

When I was walking there, Adym caught up with me.

Adym: hey?

Aniyah: oh.. hi

Adym: in a rush?

Aniyah: just kinda stressed, family stuff

Adym: i understand

Aniyah: can I have a light?

He laughed and handed me his lighter and a cigarette. I smoked it while walking to school, talking to him. I threw it away in the trash at school and once I got there, Havah saw me, and saw me talking to Adym. She ignored me and I continued to talk to Adym.

Nothing was wrong with him. And he's not really a druggie, he just smokes cigarettes, and he's really a nice person, and he cares about people. Even though he's super quiet, he's an amazing person.

I said bye to Adym and walked to first period.

*****

I walked out of class and felt someone grab my wrist. I turned around and saw Grayson, smiling.

Aniyah: you scared the shit out of me *giggles*

Grayson: sorry *smiles lightly*

He was so cute. I'm so glad I can call him mine.

Grayson: so, are you doing anything tonight

Aniyah: not that I believe

Grayson: well there's this party at Skylar's. Like a bunch of people are coming.

Aniyah: are you trying to invite me to a party?  *giggles*

Grayson: maybeee

Aniyah: I'm not much of a party girl, but why not?

We laughed a bit and I got on his back. He carried me around, as everyone stared. He brung me to my next class and sat me down at the door.

Aniyah: thanks for the ride!

I kissed him on the cheek and walked inside class.