001

Letters to my bitter cousin, Brittiney

Dear Britt,

I thought you actually cared about me. I thought you were a good cousin, that you would relieve me when I was in pain, that you would cheer me up when I was sad.

All of that was anything but true. You just broke my heart into a thousand of pieces. You never cared about me at all, did you?

Be honest, please. I can't put up with lies anymore. I need to be told the truth, for once. Not like every single time you told me you'd send me an invitation to your parties, or a card for my birthday or graduation; you never did.

I never thought Aunt Wendy would put up with yours and Bria's bullshit. I never thought she'd let you spy my social media, claiming that you just wanted to find out whether we had any mutual friends, but instead you just took advantage of the situation to have your followers say shit on me. Still, she did, just because she is your mother. Well, that's not an excuse. Better said, it's quite a poor one.

Do you remember when I was all alone in that dark, humid wooden hut? Do you remember me screaming and shouting to get someone's attention? Do you remember that you were standing at that door, but did nothing to help me and just laughed behind my back?

Unfortunately for you, I found out. Now, how can I even trust you if you act perfectly in front of everyone, before showing your true colors when we're alone? The colors of a poisonous, snarky viper. However, vipers just bite and kill people instantly with their poison. You killed my feelings slowly but very harshly. You crushed me.

You know what? Consider yourself lucky that you and Bria don't come and visit very often, otherwise I'd kill both of you there and then.

I really hope you understood the consequences of your actions.

Yours (not so) sincerely,
Brogan

P.S.: You really disappointed me.

***

Dear Brogan,

the very first time I read your letter, I considered tearing apart. I can't believe you were so fucking ungrateful for everything I've done to you! I did whatever I could to make you happy, but instead you preferred avoiding me and, especially, Bria. What the hell did we do wrong?

Anyway, I'm not gonna forgive you for making me break up with Ricky, all because of your friend Nisa's pointless crush on him. He was my man, and I was his only one. You, on the other hand, decided that we couldn't be together just because of your friend's tantrums and because you disliked me to a point that you didn't hesitate to isolate me whenever you had a chance to.

So, you thought that seeing Ricky and that little midge together was the best thing for you, which led you to set them up together on a series of small dates. That way, they'd fall in love. It really seemed as your stupid plan worked somehow. Though, what you did is just something out of payback, childish, immature and irresponsible. Remember that you'll pay for this.

I'm not regretting saying what I'm saying in this letter, so don't expect to be able to change my mind. After all, you were never able to make me cave for letting me think you were a good person, since you're anything but.

Believe me, you may want to start doing what I ask you to do for once, and not just mind your own business. Too many people are suffering because of your selfishness, and I am one of those.

Thank you so much for ruining my life. I really wish karma did its job with you.

Hope to never see you again,
Brittiney

***

Britt,

is there even a time when you stop talking shit about payback and karma? You know you're being just straight up annoying and rude, right? You know I won't stop replying to your letters 'till you tell me the actual truth, so stop acting like you're the victim, because you've always been responsible for my suffering.

Nisa has always loved Ricky, or at least ever since the first time they sat next to each other, back in sixth grade. It was you who ruined everything. It was you who made out with him while you were drunk. It was you who even attempted to threaten him - yeah, don't you say you were persuading him because those words sounded awfully much like a threat! - so that he'd become your boyfriend. Well, your plan failed, and that's it for your excuse.

You and Bria were the only ones who believed that you, darling, and Ricky were a couple! No-one else agreed with you at all. Everybody took sides with Nisa, including me, her loyal friend. At least, she's been loyal to me, unlike you.

You didn't hesitate to read my diary aloud in front of the rest of our family, with Bria laughing every time there was an embarrassing moment. That girl is so fake, just like you. It's no coincidence that you're made for one another and not just because you're sisters.

When Mom and Dad were talking to Aunt Wendy, I always thought they were just talking amiably about family life, their ambitions and dreams, or, maybe, they were recalling pleasant memories of their early adulthood - holidays, college life, the discovery of new places and, why not, new people.

I was so wrong. They were just making scenes almost all the time, creating hurtful, as well as useless, drama. Mom in particular didn't like Wendy's attitude when it came to defending your negative behavior. You, as well as Bria, were always spared from every sort of punishment. When I was little, I only thought this was unfair. Now, I think it's just straight up disrespectful.

Another thing no-one dares to point out not to offend you, little miss, is that you're extremely possessive. You always want things and people for yourself, you don't even know what sharing means. Lust made you want Ricky all for yourself, even though he was not yours at all, which left you all alone without a chance of regaining his trust.

You insist that I should taste a little bit of your revenge, but why don't you just look into yourself and ask a couple of questions? Are you really sure you're acting as the good girl and that your attitude isn't just a pathetic façade? Are you sure you're treating people the right way? Are you sure you have real friends, apart from Bria, your (only) accomplice? Are you sure that you don't deserve a lesson?

Because, believe me, you definitely do.

I'm not exactly the kind of person who hopes that something terrible happens to you, though I still hope that something terrible will open your eyes and your mind, and possibly changing your perspective of life at the same time.

I really hope you understood, because I'm not gonna repeat it again. This will be my last letter to you, because you don't deserve my full forgiveness.

Farewell,
Your cousin Brogan

P.S.: Please, for God's sake, stop being so attached to Bria! You two really need to start thinking as two separate individuals, or else you won't learn anything.