Lacuna

*an unfilled space

"They'll say you are bad
or perhaps you are mad
or at least you
should stay undercover.
Your mind must be bare
if you would dare
to think you can love
more than one lover."
~David Rovics

Kylo

The food in the cafeteria reminded me a lot of the meals we ate on First Order War ships, the only difference was that the portions were larger and the food a lot less cold. As I prodded a piece of meat with my fork a couple of women walked past carrying their trays. I was sitting alone at the far corner of the cafeteria and as they walked by they shot me curious glances, gradually tilting their heads as they walked so that they could observe me.

"Isn't that General Leia's son?" The one with short curly hair whispered to the other who looked like her sister.
The other nodded and then answered "Can't you see the resemblance?"
I watched them out of the corner of my eye until they made their way to the other side of the room and then looked back down at my tray. The lump of rice pudding at the corner of it had slowly spread out and begun to soak into the thick slice of bread. I sighed. I didn't even like pudding.

The doors of the cafeteria swung open and more people flooded in. The room was wide, and people were dispersed on the tables filling the room with a low buzz. Over by the counter someone tripped over an empty bottle sending their tray flying into the air. I could've stopped it but I didn't. His friends who were sitting nearby tried to stifle their laughter as the food rained down on his grey uniform.

"I've been looking for you everywhere."
I turned in surprise and Rey was standing quite close to me. Her voice was low and urgent.

"I need you to come with me." she said, making me wonder what could've happened in the space of time since we had last seen each other. But I stood up without a question and followed her out of the room, feeling the noise die down as we stepped into the hallway.

"Rey what happened?" I asked, a few possibilities surfacing in my mind.

"Just follow me...please." She said. I tried reading her mind but to no avail. I could tell that she was occupied with something and wouldn't say anything else to me until she'd gotten it off her chest. As we walked on I glanced at her but she kept her eyes set straight in determination. She must've sensed me looking at her because at a point I noticed her biting her lip, a possible sign of nervousness.

Outside the air was unusually humid and the sun was burning unrestrained, although one could see that darkness of night was gradually invading the sky. We walked on, through the compound, out of the gates, past the guards who gave us reassuring nods, and into the forest beyond. Trees lined every side, most of them tall and bare, twisted into eerie shapes. But as we reached a clearing they became more dense, creating a canopy above us that was penetrated by golden sunlight. Rey stopped walking and faced me.

For a while she didn't say anything. Her eyes were closed and it was as if she was trying to remember something. I waited and by then I could feel my heart beating quickly. After a couple of minutes I could bear the suspense no longer.

"Rey, why did you bring me all the way out here?" I asked her, trying me best not to sound impatient.

She opened her eyes and brought out her lightsaber. Then, after a deep breath, she extended it and pointed it at me. Our eyes were locked.

"We're going to fight." she said. I frowned and looked at her closely to make sure she was okay. Instinctively my fingers brushed against my own saber but I kept it firmly fastened to my belt.