12|| a l i v e

when michael opened his eyes, he felt his heart restrict. he was in an hospital and he could hear the beeping of his heart. 

he didn't want to hear that. 

to know he was alive. 

he reached out and someone grabbed his hand. 

"mike," he glanced over to see kayla sitting in the chair next to his bed, "you're okay, babe." 

michael didn't move his head but he smiled at the roof. 

he was okay. 

"and ashton, is he okay?" michael asked softly, as he remembered the kisses, that he shared with the other boy. 

kayla sucked in a breath and shrugged. 

"i'm not sure, mike," she sighed, "i'm sorry, but at least you're okay now, right?" 

"yeah, i guess i am."  

they stayed silent for a while and kayla started to cry. 

"i thought you were going to die," she whispered and her voice hitched, "you kept yelling for him, you know?"  

"i'm sorry," he whispered, and then he blinked slowly. 

"you were yelling loudly and the nurse had to knock you out, you were yelling 'ashton' and the three words you never said to me, i love you." 

kayla was holding tightly onto michael's hand and he had to wiggle it out of her grip. 

"do you not love me anymore?" she whispered softly and michael looked at her and bit his lip, which hurt and he slowly shook his head. 

kayla took his hand again and smiled sadly before she let it go, and they sat in silence, before michael ruined it. 

"kayla, how long have i been in here?" 

"a couple days, not too long." 

"okay, and luke, how is luke?" 

"he's still out." 

then both of them went back to being quiet and michael let kayla take his hand again, even though he would much rather have ashton holding his hand. 

when michael woke again his hand was cold. 

he moved his head to look over, at where kayla was, but she wasn't there anymore. 

he tried to move his legs, but they didn't move. 

he tried again and again. 

and again. 

he frowned and tried again to get off the bed but he couldn't feel his legs. 

michael bit his lip, which had been bitten a lot in the past days. 

he couldn't feel the pain in his legs, where the bullet wounds were, but that mainly was because he couldn't feel his legs at all. 

then he thought of never feeling them again and he started to cry. 

softly at first, before he started to sob loudly. 

his sobs echoing around his little room. 

when he stopped crying, he realized someone was watching his from the door way. 

"michael," it was luke, his arm was in a sling and he was more pale than usual, "hey buddy." 

michael grimaced at the younger boy and luke walked slowly over to michael's bed. 

"can't you walk?" luke asked as he sat on the chair beside michael's bed. michael started to cry and he banged his legs angrily with his arms. 

"i hate it," he croaked out, "i just want to walk!" 

"i'm sorry, mike," luke whispered and michael felt luke hug him with one arm. 

they stayed like that all night, until michael fell asleep and luke crawled into his bed and fell asleep too, both of them in michael's hospital bed. 

✗✗ ✗✗ ✗✗ 
{lowercase intended}