13|| c a l u m

michael and luke woke at around the same time in the morning. 

luke's arm throbbed and michael's throat and head hurt from crying all night. 

"i can see if i can get you a wheelchair?" luke said after they had laid in silence for a long time, "we can go see ashton and calum." 

"alright," michael answered and tried to move his legs again and again. 

he didn't want to lose his legs forever. 

luke got out of the bed and then left michael to his own thoughts. 

luke returned in record time with a wheelchair and he was wheeling it easily with one hand. 

"i don't know how you'll get in, but that doesn't matter," luke laughed and michael joined in softly. 

after a while, they finally got michael into the wheelchair, with help from a nurse who was passing by the room.

"calum's room is 732A and ashton's still in the icu," luke told michael as he wheeled michael out of his room. 

"let's go see calum then," michael whispered and luke agreed. 

when they got to the room, luke opened the door quickly. 

a nurse was fixing something on calum's machine and she turned to face the boys, "oh hello, are you family of calum's?" 

michael shook his head but luke didn't move, he was stuck watching calum. 

calum was looking worse than luke did. calum had tubes here and there, his body was so pale, he nearly faded into the white sheets. 

his eyes were taped closed and he was laying on his back, but he was levitated a bit, because of the wound in his back. the scar on his face was bandaged and his lips were cracked. to tell you the truth he looked dead. 

"hello?" the nurse waved and michael blinked at her. 

"no we're not, sorry," michael answered, seeing as luke wasn't going too. 

"you all look like you're supposed to be in the ICU," she said as she fixed the sheets on calum's bed, "but i guess, just like calum here, you needed your own rooms to heal," she told them. 

"we don't know," luke picked this moment to speak, "we are in the dark, we just woke, enough to walk, we just wanted to see calum." 

she nodded, "well i believe," she whispered, "that he can hear you, if you speak to him," she told them. 

she made one final check of calum, as the boys waited, before sighing.

"okay," she smiled at them before leaving the room, and closing the door behind her. 

luke walked shakily to the chair beside him. 

"hi, calum," he whispered. 

michael wheeled himseld to the other side and stared at the boy on the bed. 

"ashton's still in the ICU," luke whispered, "but michael and i are alright, i know that may mean nothing to you, but i just wanted you to know," luke glanced at michael, "also, calum, sasha's okay." 

this time i looked at him. luke was holding calum's hand, and his eyes were closed tightly. 

"who's sasha?" i asked quietly. 

"calum's girlfriend." 

"how do you know that?" 

"she came and saw me, to..." he opened his eyes to look at me, "to thank me, to thank me for looking after him," luke looked down, "but i didn't." 

michael looked at his legs and bit his lip, he didn't want luke to beat himself up for this. 

"i didn't look after him," luke murmered, "i'm so sorry, calum, so so sorry." 

at that moment, something on his machine starts to go haywire and it starts beeping loudly. 

it doesn't take long for four nurses to come into the room and start undoing the wires and making sure luke and michael were out of the way. 

they watched as the nurses take the bed away with calum on it. 

"where are you taking him?" luke asked just before the last nurse can follow she turned around. 

"he's going back to the ICU," she answered, "we thought he was getting better, but he just dropped." then she ran to catch up with calum's bed. 

"do you think it was because he heard what i said?" luke asked softly and michael shook his head and luke sat back into the chair and looked at michael, but they didn't talk again. 

"i guess, we could go ask ashton's family, to go see ashton in the ICU?" luke said after a while of silence and michael looked at him. 

"yeah, i guess." 

✗✗ ✗✗ ✗✗ 

{lowercase intended}