-4-

Maxon

All the Elite girls have arrived. It's weird to have them all under my roof again. Father was getting frustrated with me. I thought he loved Kriss, but I guess he isn't satisfied. Illéa doesn't like Kriss that much, they like her but not.

Father liked her until he was all the other girls again, and the dynamic in the palace changed. He just yelled at me in the office that I should pick one of the other girls to be my wife, except Elise. She is 5 months pregnant and by that she is already out.

Kriss' situation was not making it easier for me. She is unable to have kids, therefor she can't produce an heir. Did father just expect me to divorce Kriss? I love her, she brightens my day, when I have had a though day with father.

"Go get some rest son, but consider my suggestion." Father said and patted on my back and went to sit in his chair.

"Father I can't, I don't want to remarry." I protested. Father stood up again, he was intimidating and I felt scared.

"Maxon, you have to produce an heir, that wife of yours can't."

My mother couldn't have kids at first, but after many miscarriages she had me. But Kriss can't even get pregnant. She told me that after we got married. I wanted to tell her, that she should have told me, but I didn't.

"You were the one who said I couldn't choose America."

"Well then, America is it her you would've chosen? America would probably be able to have kids; she is from a family of five children." Father said and started to think of a plan. '

"She is occupied, her boyfriend is Anthony remember?" I sighed.

"You Maxon, is the future king. She can't say no." Father whispered in my ears sending fear through my body. You obviously don't know the same America as i do. Headstrong and stubborn. I shook my head and ran out of the office. Father wasn't going to give up on it. He was going to destroy this reunion.

With loads of thought going through my mind I went to bed. I had trouble sleeping. I keep thinking of father's suggestion. Can I divorce Kriss that easy? I don't want to do the same as my grandmother, she killed her husband, not just divorce him.

"Maxon? Can I sleep in here with you?" Kriss asked and I saw her standing in the doorway between our suites. She was dressed in her silky nightgown I have gotten her. I spread my arms inviting her to my bed. She laid down beside me and cuddled up against me.

"I'm sorry" Kriss whispered in the dark.

"For what my dear?"

"That I can't have children."

"Don't worry about that, I love you" I said. Those last 3 words felt like a lie and I was betraying her. I wonder if father had talked to her.

-

The next day Kriss was gone, she probably went to get ready for tea with her friends. Father and I are stopping by later to chat with all of them as well. I made my way to breakfast, I was starving. The girls weren't there and Kriss wasn't there either. My parents sat at our table. Father was speaking to mother about something quietly.

"Morning" I said announcing my entrance. They both looked at me, and mother smiled, when I took my seat besides father. My butler poured some black coffee in my mug.

"Maxon I have a deal for you." Father whispered in my ear so mom wouldn't hear it. I stare at his gaze, scared of his deal. He has offered me deals before and they have been offensive or hurtful to someone.

"If you choose another girl, America. You can have the crown, and I won't meddle." He said and took a sip from his coffee. "We end the unhappiness of our country and you can produce an heir." He said casually. I bit my lip, and try not to show any emotion. 

He knows I want the crown, he knows I want to change the way Illea is being ruled. Is he going to let me rule? He is bossy control freak who can't let anything go. If I take this offer I get the crown, but if I don't, I'll keep Kriss. My father wants me to marry America. I wanted that too, but she is happy in her new relationship, and I'm happily married.

"Maxon? Can I speak with you honey?" Mom said and leaned across the table to reach me. I nodded and she gestured that we should go out to the hall. I followed her confused, but didn't ask about it.

"So..."

"Maxon you know that you have to produce an heir right?" Mom said and looked at me, but I looked down. Not her too, has she spoken to dad? This nonsense is getting out of hand. I'm the future king, and here I am totally powerless.

"What did I say? You look constipated." Mom said concerned.

"YES!" I said too loud. "Everyone keeps telling me I should divorce Kriss and marry America. Why can't it never be my choice. When I wanted to marry America, dad was mad and refused to even speak of it. Now that I married his then favorite, he wants me to marry America." I sighed. They Both don't know about America and Aspen. I wanted to spare America from being canned on national television.

"This situation is different son, I would love for you to have children, and I want grandbabies." She didn't use the word heir. That made my anger fade away a little. She wants to have grandkids and she wants ME to have kids, not just to carry the line.

"I know, but I don't think dad know what he is asking of me." I sighed.

"Just think about it, I know you will do the right thing. No matter what you do, I will always support and love you." Mom said and smiled, before going back in to finish her breakfast. This little conversation made this decision harder.

This shouldn't have been a problem in the first place. I shouldn't have to choose between two girls after the selection. And here I am, trying to make a second choice. I took the day off to think about it. I grabbed my camera and walked out to the garden. I needed to do something to distract me.

In the garden, I saw America wondering alone. It didn't surprise me; she loves the garden and the outdoors. Her red fiery hair and icy blue eyes met mine, she smiled and walked over to me.

"Your majesty." America curtsied awkwardly, but smiled.

"Please don't be so formal, just Maxon." I chuckled.

"What are you doing out here? Don't you have a country to rule?" America asked and sat down at nearest bench and I followed her.

"Just need to clear my mind." I shrugged.

We talked for a bit and she told me about her life, and I told her about my burdens. I didn't tell her that I might have to marry her. I wanted to ask if she wanted me, like marry me. Do I like her, like that? I love her and I want the best for her, and she can't be married to a person whom she doesn't love.

"Shoot I have to go; the tea starts in 15minutes." America said hysterically and said goodbye before rushing back to her room. I need to talk to her later.