Chapter 12- Jolene Woods*

I smile at Jason and then let my hand fall back into its original position in my lap, making me wince in pain again. I guess it's what I get for carelessly throwing my arm around.

"You guys ready to walk?" Jason is the first to nod, I just watch the front of his hair flop up and down. Then when he stops nodding I smile at Kit.

"As ready as we'll ever be." Kit puts his bag next to mine and looks at my shoulder, then he makes eye contact with me.

"Can you carry both bags while I carry Jason?" I nod and then stand. I help Jason get into a position on Kit's back to where it won't hurt him as much, well to where it won't hurt Kit's weak back, and Jason's broken legs. When he's situated I lift my bag over my shoulders, hating the way it rubs against my wound, and I set Kit's bag on the ground. I pull out the handle, thankful that Kit grabbed a rolling backpack. I wince at first because of the rubbing of the straps up against the back of my wound, but eventually I get used it. 

I head out the door first. My backpack straps over my shoulders, Kits rolling backpack in my left hand, and my bat in the other. Which strains my hurt arm, but honestly I have to be able to defend myself, and be able to power through the pain. No matter how much I regret making the wound bleed again, or how much I regret making it bigger. 

We make our way down the damp gray pavement. All we can hear are the animal noises coming from the forest to our left, and the sound of the rolling backpack on the cracked road. I can't help but think about Nikala when we walk. 

She said that she had pulled Kit out of the car before the tree lifted it into the sky. Which means that Kit knows Nikala is alive and has turned into the thing that we are trying to avoid. That means that Jason is the only one who doesn't know, which to me, isn't fair at all. I really want to tell him so that he doesn't feel left out when he finally sees Nikala. But I also promised Nikala that I wouldn't say anything about her to either Jason nor Kit. That leaves me with the option of just ignoring what happened after I woke up in that tree. But I really do want to tell Kit and Jason that I got struck by lightening. All they know is that I had to use the majority of the burn cream to heal my wounded skin. Neither one of them have asked me why my skin is damaged, or why I'm not wearing colorful clothing like usual. Instead I'm wearing clothes that in no way could go wrong, or if they do look mis-match, it looks like it's on purpose.

I decide about ten feet away that instead of telling them now, I'll tell them later. I really don't want to ruin the silence that is between us. It's not awkward or longing, it's just, peaceful.
Behind me I can hear Kit huffing as he walks, obviously struggling with the weight of holding Jason. When I glance back, Jason looks extremely uncomfortable, his arms not wrapped around Kits neck like they were with mine, instead resting across Kits shoulders. Kit is red already even though we've only walked maybe thirty feet. It's honestly sad, even I didn't think Jason was heavy. 

I look back towards the way we are heading and lift my unhurt arm up to where I can see my muscles. I flex, and then realize that I have a tougher looking build than both Jason and Kit combined. It makes me smile with pride, and makes me hold my head higher as I walk. Talk about women power.

                                            • • •

The first store we came across was a family owned one. Inside the shelves were layered with cans and jars filled with jams. They had everything from strawberry to blackberry. Not only did they have shelves with jams, but in the center there are tables filled with clothes and hats, and one table has boxed cookies.

I walk over to the table with clothes and I pull my bag off my shoulders. I find two shirts, one in my size and one in Jason's, carefully folding them and putting them into my bag. I leave my bag and Kit's bag next to the table with shirts and hats, still keeping my bat in hand. I eye the person turned to stone that's behind the counter, leaned over the cashier. As I get closer I realize they were taking out money, and giving it to the person on the other side of the counter, who is nowhere to be seen. Only pebbles are left behind.