Chapter 26- Jolene Woods*

The car pulls up to the gate and the gate slides open for us. I hesitantly push the pedal down, urging the car to pull into the gated community. It's only when the gate has closed behind us and the people have surrounded us that I feel the anxiety fill my gut. "Maybe the dog was right." I whisper to Jason whose face shows the same concerns.

"It's too late now."

The people who closed the gate come to the drivers door and stare through the tint. When I make eye contact with the male I feel my breath get caught in my lungs. He looks so angry and aggressive, making me want to stay in the car even more.

"Get out of the car, please." The man says, the please more of an after thought than a comment.

"I'll get out. You all stay inside." Jason says as he opens his door. I go to disagree but his door is shut in my face. I watch as Jason talks with the people calmly. Have I mentioned that his hair is growing out? It's looking fluffy now. I make eye contact with Jason and I can tell that he's trying to make a decision.

"I'm scared Damion." Ollie whispers from the back seat. In the rear-view mirror I watch as Damion pulls the boy into his arms. I take a deep breath, feeling the anxiety I was feeling myself grow more. Please let them be good people.

Jason nods at me. I look back at Damion and Ollie, "Stay in here." I wait for Damion to nod before I exit the truck, closing the door after I'm out.

"This is Jolene." Jason says motioning towards me.

"Nice to meet you Jolene. Your friends can get out of the car n--"

"They'll be staying in there for now." I state, interrupting the tall slim man. He smiled a sly smile, looking past me for a moment.

"Have it your way." The man says, his black eyes making contact with mine.

"You were telling me about shelter, food, water?" Jason says, bringing all the attention back to him.

"Yes. However, you have to help us with something in return."

"And what's that?" I ask as I cross my arms.

"We have someone in custody who... helped... create this virus. However, she is unresponsive to us."

"Can she find a cure?" Jason asks stepping towards the man, the hope laced through his voice.

"She is unwilling to share." The man says licking his lips after he's done speaking.

"So what can we do?" I ask scrunching my eyebrows.

"Friend her. Get her to trust you so we can get that information. In exchange, all the food, water, and shelter you could want."

"Give us a moment to talk about your generous offer." I state looking towards Jason. Soon we are both in the quiet car looking out at the crowd that has gathered around our vehicle.

"I don't like him." I admit.

"I know, he gives me weird vibes but what choice do we have?" Jason asks in a hushed tone.

I shake my head, "I don't know." My hand is taken in Jason's as he plants a kiss on my hand.

"I know you're worried. But we are running low on gas, everyone's tired, plus we are all in need of a shower." Jason admits, chuckling softly.

"You're right." I reply looking to him.

Jason looks startled by my reply, "Did you just say that I'm right?"

I laugh, "Don't let it get to your head."

"Are we staying?" Ollie asks from the backseat, the excitement bursting through his voice.