Chapter 18- Kit Burdine*

I killed someone.

I rock back and forth inside the closet, covering my ears so I don't hear the stones tearing about the humans outside. I wipe tears off my cheeks and lean my head up against the wall.

All of this reaffirms the idea that I can't control myself around Jolene. Those people now on the ground could have been Jolene and Jason.

I take a deep breath as I extend my legs. I close my eyes and focus on breathing in my nose and out my mouth. I grab my head and sigh.

It's gonna be okay. I just have to remain calm.

I stand and shake my arms. I open the door and as soon as the stones hear the noise they all perk up and look at me. I take a deep breath as I walk off. Behind me I hear some of the stones following me. I turn to them and shake my head.

"No I'm not doing this." All of the stones following me tilt their heads before taking more steps towards me. "Please leave me alone." I say before I begin walking away. Behind me I can still hear the stones following me. I feel the other me take over as we whip around, but I'm still in control. "I said leave me ALONE!" I scream. All of the stones pause in walking and that's when I see her. When people say hearts jump when they see the one— I never imagined it would happen to me. She tilts her head at me when she notices me staring and a growl escapes her throat, but I can understand her.

"What?" Her voice echoes in my head, sweet and calm.

"Nothing." I say, then I shake my head and turn forward.

What are you doing? The other me hisses.

"I don't know."

Absolutely not. We are a one man show.

I shake my head again and reach up to it, "Stop. Get out of my head." I whisper.

No. You stop. Dragging along female will not make things better. He hisses.

I feel a hand on my shoulder which automatically grabs all of my attention. When I turn I'm met by a pair of brown eyes. She lets out a low growl as she pats my shoulder.

"Are you okay?" I guess she can see the terror on my face.

"I'm fine." I whisper. She shakes her head and taps my head with her pointer.

"No. You're fighting." How did she see that? "I feel it too." She growls. I nod my head and look forward.

"It's scary."

"We can help you." She growls, motioning to herself and then to the stones standing behind us.

"How?"

"We had to give in too." I squint and shake my head beginning to walk forward.

"I'm a danger to ever—"

"What do you think we are?" She interrupts with a louder growl. "We are the only ones that you can't hurt— for the most part." She looks to the stone I killed earlier and then turns back to me. "We are sticking by you no matter what you say. After all, it's what happens when you kill our pack leader." I growl and turn my head in the direction I want to go.

"Fine." I feel the other me take control and I feel stronger, filled to the brim with energy. My body carries me across the snow, keeping a perfect form and keeping a steady pattern of breathing. Behind me I can hear the stones, but they're getting quieter and quieter. There's a growl calling me to slow down. I stop, my shoes sliding in the snow. My body turns to the stones who are quite a while behind me. When they catch up I shake my head and look at the female from earlier. "If you all are gonna follow me, you need to run faster. I'm not stopping again." I state with a scowl. The female walks beside me and growls again.