Chapter 19- Jason Brock*

My axe comes in contact with the arm of the human hunter who turns to me. I pull my axe free and grip it tight, "Come on you son of a—"

"Watch out!" Jolene calls. I duck and hear the clank of a bat on metal. Jolene lifts me up and turns to the last human hunter. Before she can hit it Nikala leaps into it and begins pulling cords out of its neck. Me and Jolene watch the robot collapse to the floor in a heap of cords and metal. Nikala stands and turns towards her pack pulling one of the small children into her arms. She turns to me and Jolene and smiles, returning to her non-violent self.

"Thank you." Jolene steps towards her and the stones.

"What are you all doing here?" She questions.

"I- we need your help." Nikala turns towards the group of stones who seem to be circling someone. "Oliver, sweetie, come here." The group of stones separates and a little boy with brown hair steps forward. His small frame tells me exactly what Nikala means, and I guess Jolene picks up on it too.

"Hi Oliver." Jolene whispers as she crouches down to his height and sets down the bat. I admire her in that state: the snow with red tinted cheeks and a bright red nose. She's beautiful.

"It's Ollie." Ollie whispers back, stepping towards Jolene cautiously.

"It's nice to meet you Ollie." Jolene replies. She looks up at Nikala and sighs.

"Parents?"

"Dead I guess. We found him with his sister. Well, Kit found them together." Jolene tenses up and stands, looking around.

"Where is he?" I step forward, asking the question Jolene wants to ask but never would. Nikala shakes her head and looks down.

"You don't want to see him. He's..." Nikala's voice gets caught in her throat as she looks away. "He's not himself." Jolene steps around Ollie towards Nikala and the girl she's holding.

"What do you mean he's not himself?" The group of stones parts when Nikala nods her head, showing a deformed creature. Head lower than it should be, with its left shoulder above its head. There are scars on the sides of his mouth with blood caked to his neck. He also seems to have grown a couple inches. I can tell it's him before he even speaks.

"Please forgive me." Kit says as he pulls arms close to his body. Jolene gasps and covers her mouth.

"Oh my god, Kit." Jolene steps towards him but Nikala interjects, moving in between them.

"Don't. Last time he got near someone who wasn't infected he killed them."

"That's why you need us to take Ollie?" Nikala nods and walks back over to the girl, motioning for the stones to form back around Kit.

"I want him to be safe. I can't watch another child get hurt." Another? I raise my eyebrows and tilt my head, but I decide it's not worth asking about when Nikala's face is covered with sadness. Jolene steps back to Ollie and touches his arm. As if on cue Nikala clears her throat, "You all must be cold." She states. I look at Nikala and smile.

"Freezing." Nikala nods and looks out towards the barren fields of white.

"Then we better leave you to look for supplies. Rose, say goodbye to your brother." The girl who's been holding onto Nikala this entire time finally moves. She walks over to Ollie and hugs him.

"I lawv you bubby." Ollie hugs her back and kisses her head.

"I'll see you later." Ollie reassures. Rose turns and runs back to Nikala grabbing her hand. Nikala looks at Jolene and smiles.

"It was nice seeing you again."

"Again?" I question as I step towards Jolene. Jolene looks at me and smiles.